Wiring harness, carbs, etc.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

born4ford
United States of America

Wiring harness, carbs, etc.

Post by born4ford »

OMG I got my truck body home today after the mechanic pulled the engine to rebuild. The number of things that need to be worked on before the engine gets dropped back in blows my mind. The costs just keep adding up. I want to update the brake cylinder and lines and put in a new wiring harness, just for starters. AND, I want to do as much as I can myself. Partly because of costs but mainly because this mechanicing stuff is a pretty new skill set for me and I wanted the challenge. So, I have a couple of questions for you guys (which will be followed up by a bunch more questions, no doubt):
1) Where would you recommend that I buy the wiring harness? I have been looking at one at KwikWire. com http://kwikwire.com/wire-harnesses/ford ... e-harness/
2) Can you give me some sort of punch list of things that should be done while the engine is out?ear the transmission apart

I got to tear the engine down with the mechanic and take the block to the shop for re-boring. Loved it! He says I can help him (get in his way) tear the transmission apart, too. Which brings up a couple more questions: do you guys recommend a transmission cooler? What are your feeling on adding a f bore carb?

Well, thanks for your time and recommendations! Julie
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: Wiring harness, carbs, etc.

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

hi Julie
i was just down in your neck of the woods monday.
would have liked to stop by and visit but did not have enough time.maybe next trip.

i would check into this harness (down near the bottom of the page)
http://www.flashbackf100s.com/new_parts_page

there was one at slickstock and being that Tom is a member and only sells quality stuff it gets my vote.

lots of stuff to do when engine and trans are out. good time for cleaning up the engine compartment , any wiring etc. that may be needed.
also time for cleaning-painting all the engine acccessories while they are off too.

im sure lots of members will give you many good tips.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
born4ford
United States of America

Re: Wiring harness, carbs, etc.

Post by born4ford »

Hi Iceman,

Thanks for the tip. I bought a 16" innie wheel from Tom a while back. He has a nice business going there. Right now I'm knuckle deep in grease and grime, trying to clean up the engine compartment before I get into anything else. Give me a holler when you swing by Durango the next time!

Julie