Power disc brake/steering install on a 65 f100

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Lightshow

Power disc brake/steering install on a 65 f100

Post by Lightshow »

Hey, long time no see!

So I'm looking for good info on exactly what I'm going to need to do to complete a swap of both the manual drum brakes and manual steering to power disc brakes and power steering on my 65 F100. I have an incomplete picture, by which i mean "get a donor truck and pull your stuff from it". It's a lot better than nothing, but I could use more to go on.

I'd like to know from someone who's done something similar exactly what parts I'm going to need, which i can keep from the old brake and steering systems, and which from the power systems I'm better off replacing with new parts rather than pulling from the donor.

You guys have always been so helpful, so thanks in advance for all the help.
Pack Rat
United States of America

Re: Power disc brake/steering install on a 65 f100

Post by Pack Rat »

I did this on a 68 Bump side and was told as long as it has twin I beam it will inter change. I got the front clip off a 78 f250 . I used axles ( changed bushings) and the complete steering linkage. Used the booster and master. I bought new hoses and had to relocate the proportioning valve and bend a couple of lines. That was a couple years ago. Made a big difference.
1966 F100 240 3speed
1968 F250 Camper Special 390 C6 with 70 Sells slide in camper
1964 Galaxie hard top. 390 dual quads
1962 Falcon soon to have 428 4 speed and straight axle.
rbeck204
United States of America

Post by rbeck204 »

http://mongrelmotorsports.purpleflyingm ... index.html
good write up at the above link for the disc brake portion

For steering use a box from a 72-78 Ford truck. Also take the driver side motor perch as it is designed to clear the PS box. I use the same later year truck column and install the mounts from a 65-66 column to mount the newer column. (Newer column is shorter than the manual steering early column). Pump and hoses should be self explanatory, but buy new pressure hose while you have everything apart. I have done many. Ask if this is still not clear.

Others may have other suggestions on the columns
Rich
61 T Bird Convertible
1953 Ford Customline 2 door
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

I got a 73 F150, had to use my original steering linkage, swapped I beams, gear box, steering column and the wider rear brakes. The steering shaft was a little long so turn signal cancel cam missed. If I had shortened shaft it would not have been a problem.
Chris
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Richard, do you have a picture of the motor mount? I did not grab the mount when I grabed the rest of the parts
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
rbeck204
United States of America

Post by rbeck204 »

John,
I don't have a picture of the perch. It's the part the rubber motor mount bolts to. The driver side is different on a PS truck. Where the perch bolts on top of, and through, the frame the holes are a couple inches further forward on the PS perch to clear the larger PS box.
Rich
61 T Bird Convertible
1953 Ford Customline 2 door
brute66
United States of America

Post by brute66 »

I'm in the process of putting discs on my '66. Here's what i've done so far:
Acquired spindles complete with rotors and pads from a '75 donor
Factory brake lines and distribution block sourced from a '79 donor
Don't forget the front brake line brackets from the donor (located inside wheelwell)
Brand new Tuff Stuff 7" power booster with dual reservoir master cylinder
New front brake hoses

The Tuff Stuff master cylinder has a long threaded rod extending out the back...it is incompatible with the factory rod attached to the brake pedal assy. The factory rod has a rounded end that fits inside the factory single reservoir cylinder. I believe I will cut off the rounded end and probably weld an extension with an identical thread and use a clevis with nuts on both ends for adjustment and for tightening when the proper adjustment is determined. Looks like the Tuff Stuff threaded rod is too long so it will be shortened to fit.

This is the problem when using aftermarket non-specific application parts. When I ordered the master cylinder I specified a '66 F100 application. It's all new (which is important to me) and it only set me back $145 (with booster).

I'll let you know how it goes if you're interested.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

rbeck204 wrote:John,
I don't have a picture of the perch. It's the part the rubber motor mount bolts to. The driver side is different on a PS truck. Where the perch bolts on top of, and through, the frame the holes are a couple inches further forward on the PS perch to clear the larger PS box.
Rich
When I did mine I used the same perch. They are different as said but I may have ground on it, I don't remember it being a problem. I was 17 so there is no telling how or what I did to make it work.
Chris