S10 frame

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Malibusurfer
United States of America

S10 frame

Post by Malibusurfer »

Searched for this and did not find much info. I am now looking at using a entire S10 frame and drop it on my shortbed unibody. I like the narrow look of the front end to tuck wheels in as I want to drop truck a few inches. Can fab in my 9". Like the front end and endless upgrades to suspension and ease of finding/buying wheels. Going to box entire frame after lengthening to fit.
I believe my stock frame is bent, so justifying going this route possibly....
Anyone have any experience swapping this frame. Pro's / con's???
Thanks
William-in-St George

Re: S10 frame

Post by William-in-St George »

Most here cringe at the thought of mixing Cheeeveee with Ford. It's your truck so do what you will. Many use a Crown Victoria clip or the later aluminum cross member from a CV. Personally I like the Industrial Chassis/Dakota conversion or one of the improved Mustang II kits. Frame swaps can seriously cost time and money better spent elsewhere and some states DMV frown on Vin's that do not match the paperwork. If I had a nice clean short Uni and wanted to upgrade the front suspension I'd use the Mustang II. JMHO!
William-in-St. George
Malibusurfer
United States of America

Post by Malibusurfer »

William, I totally agree!!
If $ was no object I would do a MII in a heartbeat. I'm in the realm of I have more time than money kinda thing.... Stay at home dad right now after being layed off.
I have access to a entire s10 truck.... The s10 frames are strong and when boxed, real strong for a 1/2 ton. Lots of aftermarket stuff too for them... I was just seeing if anyone had attempted this and any headaches or issues along the way.... Thanks for the reply.
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

There are several threads over on the H.A.M.B. talking about nothing but S10 Chassis swaps, might be worth having a look....will either convince you or dissuade you, but either way you will be better informed before moving forward......and if'n I was doing a suspension upgrade, it would likely be the Industrial Chassis Dakota crossmember, a Jag swap (look for Matts how-to, it's relatively straight forward, and fairly low buck), or No-Limit....but I am personally not a big believer in the '03 & up Crown Vic swap, just can't live with the width & how it impacts wheel choice.......
Indy63

Post by Indy63 »

2wd S-10s have a very narrow track width - they're over 5" narrower than our trucks stock, which already have the wheels sucked in pretty far. The rails also don't come close to matching the profile of ours and are not symmetrical, making cab, bed, and other mounts more challenging and almost guaranteeing a not-so-clean result. The front rails are also very tight, creating exhaust and oil pan interference issues, especially if you want a Ford engine. They just aren't a good donor for a fullsize truck.

If you want to swap an entire frame, look into pre-'03 Crown Vics that have been done several times and turn out pretty well with minimal reworking and will still keep the wheels tucked in while giving you a more common bolt pattern.
luckystiff
United States of America

Post by luckystiff »

as said s10 is to narrow for these trucks. i like a nice tucked wheel also but stock width does that pretty decent already on these trucks. with the s10 i have a feeling you'd be all in the inner fenders rubbing kinda the opposite of the, in my opinion bad choice of 03+ CV.

therefore in my opinion the best choice is JAG. correct width. AWESOME handling from a donor with almost the same curbweight. donor fronts usually cost $200-400. i prefer to weld the in solid opposed to the tech mentioned above where he bolted it in(i actually notched mine 3" into the frame to get LOW). i have less than $700 in my jag front/explore rear swap.....ken....
Malibusurfer
United States of America

Post by Malibusurfer »

Thanks everyone.
Anyone looked at a early Dakota 5 lug frame?? Clip it??
Track width is just shy of 62. They can be had relatively cheap around here...
Icky, I agree. I had purchased a CV front end for it, but did not like the wide stace. Now I am looking for a nice tucked in look, but yeah, the S10 seems WAY to narrow...
luckystiff
United States of America

Post by luckystiff »

again JAGUAR XJ.......

59.5" width JUST LIKE your truck came with. EASY swap to do as easy or easier than CV. you DO NOT have to cut the frame into and do all the core support locating and stuff. jag crossmember straight to frame welded in gives you about 4-4.5" of suspension drop another 1-2" is pretty is via spacers on the lower spring plate and/or cutting coils. combine that with a nice drop in tire size to go along with that and 6-8" drop is pretty easy.

lots of folks like to say "i can't find a jag donor" all but twice i've taken those peoples words and found the a donor within 10 minutes of web searching their area(you might have to drive a coupla hours but trust me it's worth it).

if you want it LOW weld a "backbone" of 3"x1.75" inside the framerail and notch the jag crossmember to that. that puts it as low or lower than 2nd gen camaro swapped f100s with full suspension travel. you aren't gonna go much lower than that and drive it much static. my uni at ride height with 205/70/15 front and 235/75/15 rear measures 4.75" at the rocker at the front of the door and 5.5" at the rocker at the rear of the door.

i've done several jags now and with the knowledge i've gained i think i could do the swap within 20-22hrs not notched and 23-25 or so notched. if someone brought me a straightaxle truck with no engine/trans and the front sheetmetal off on friday i think i could have it back to roller with jag swap by sunday...
Malibusurfer
United States of America

Post by Malibusurfer »

Lucky,
Thank you!!! The Jag idea sounds like the way to go to keep most of the truck in tact. What size calipers do they have and bolt pattern? Are they reasonable $ to get new ones and have them drilled??? Same with calipers?
Thanks again.
luckystiff
United States of America

Post by luckystiff »

large 4 piston calipers(forget the size and to tired to go out and measure but they are nice big 4 pots. 11" rotors. 5x4.75(chevy bolt pattern) but the threads on the studs are ford thread pitch so ford lugs.

pretty much all rebuild parts are about the same cost wise as most any other donor. the biggest hard to find reasonable part is the rack so try to make sure you get a good rack if possible. i've never had to completely go through any of the donors i've used. usually new balljoint and tie rod ends, have the rotors turned, flush some fresh fluid through the calipers, and sometimes control arm bushings. most local parts places can have any of the parts in a day or two but most of that stuff is cheaper through ebay sellers, rockauto.com, and online jag parts suppliers...

i can give you references on where to measure off of for crossmember location to center the wheel in the well and things like that. i was gonna do a full step by step on one but haven't had time to get to another one yet...ken....