Ignition Switch Removal

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: Ignition Switch Removal

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

squeese the sides of the clips and pull the plug off.

and yes i know i spelled squeese wrong but the correct letter key does not work on my computer :cussing:
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
milomilo
United States of America

Post by milomilo »

I did what you said and the clips came loose. I have not yet tried to remove the plug from the headlight switch yet. Finally got something to work correctly. I tried the allen wrench on the ignition switch and I still cannot get it in the hole after I turn the switch to ACC, I can get it in when the switch is turned to OFF, but then I cannot turn the switch to ACC.

I have new symptoms now though. I grounded the instrument panel to the dash and now only the turn signal lights come on. All the other lights go out when the panel is grounded. When it is not grounded all the lights were dimmer. While turning the instrument panel back and forth the lights would go off and on.

Not sure now where to look to find the problem. Do I have a bad ground issue or still some sort of short?
Chris

64 F100 4X4 Styleside Wrong Bed
on a 74 chassis, 390, C6
A work in progress
milomilo
United States of America

Post by milomilo »

I also see the small pin sticking up from the headlight switch close to the dash. Is this pin when pushed release the knob and shaft? I tired pushing the pin in and pulling out the knob and shaft, but it does not seem to release.
Chris

on a 74 chassis, 390, C6
A work in progress
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

sometimes they can be sticky but yes pull the knob all the way out (lights on) then push the button and pull the knob and shaft the rest of the way out
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
milomilo
United States of America

Post by milomilo »

I finally found the short!!!!!!!!!!!! It was a tab in the headlight plug bent over too close to another tab. Now to reassemble. Then get back to why the engine does not run right. Thanks ICEMAN6166 for all your help.
Chris

on a 74 chassis, 390, C6
A work in progress
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

thanks. glad you found the gremlin.
i try to help, dont always have the answer but i dont give up easily.
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
milomilo
United States of America

Post by milomilo »

After getting the headlight switch out I see that the Ni-chrome wire to dim the dash lights is all busted up. Got a new switch on order.
Chris

on a 74 chassis, 390, C6
A work in progress
milomilo
United States of America

Post by milomilo »

Got the new headlight switch today and plugged it in. Sadly the short is still there. Since I removed the knob and shaft, does that leave the headlights on? If so, I'll have to plug the switch back in and reinstall the knob and shaft then push the knob in and see if the dash lights go out. Here's hoping!!!
Chris

on a 74 chassis, 390, C6
A work in progress
milomilo
United States of America

Post by milomilo »

milomilo wrote:Got the new headlight switch today and plugged it in. Sadly the short is still there. Since I removed the knob and shaft, does that leave the headlights on? If so, I'll have to plug the switch back in and reinstall the knob and shaft then push the knob in and see if the dash lights go out. Here's hoping!!!

In cse it is the plug shorted, anyone here have a used headlight switch plug they want to part with?
Chris

on a 74 chassis, 390, C6
A work in progress
milomilo
United States of America

Post by milomilo »

Well, put in the new headlight switch and the knob and shaft. Still have the short. With the key off, the taillights/front clearance and dash lights are on. I can turn off the dash lights using the new headlight switch rheostat, but the outside front and rear tail lights are still on. Drats!!!

Next use a test light and see which scockets in the headlight plug are hot with the key off. Then see which wire is shorted to the hot wire in the wiring harness. If not there, I am back to the headlight switch plug. I still think something is not right with the plug. A couple of the scocket tangs rivets are loose. That may be what is causing the short. Wish I had a schematic for the wiring harness plug. It would help to decipher the problem.

Off to the local VFW for their monthly ham and beans supper. It comes with cornbread, beverage, salad and pie or cake for $5. Hard to beat the price and the money is going to a good cause too.
Chris

on a 74 chassis, 390, C6
A work in progress