bad news

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

therealjoeshmoe

bad news

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

well i went out to the shop last night to get ready and pull my i beams off, (yes my i beams screwed me over) but i was wrenching and noticed an oil leak.. between the driverside head and block.. after the initial excitment was over, i have decided to pull motor back out and build it up again.. ive got another 352 im working on so might have to build it up and put in my truck.. kinda feeling discouraged at this time...
Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
slixtyfive
United States of America

Re: bad news

Post by slixtyfive »

That seems like an odd place for an oil leak - how long has been since the last time it was running? You probably already did this but make sure it isn't trailing down from a higher point and just appears to be leaking at that point.

What happened with the Ibeams? I didn't see anything in your build thread but maybe I missed it.....
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
therealjoeshmoe

well my i beams were bent and with all the new bushings and stuff it threw everything off so i scrounged some more beams up...but i have to clean and refinish them now. geesh the oil leak is from between the head and block,, i just put new valve cover gaskets on with silicone.. i ordered a complete gasket kit so motor is coming out this week end AGAIN! lol the motor before i took it out about 6 months ago.. motor ran great but to be honest, i think i know why its leaking.. i just found out that carb cleaner will destroy gaskets.. :roll: well thats what my dumbass used to clean the motor... geesh it got the motor really clean and ready to paint but i guess it wasnt such a good idea.. i guess you live and learn... write this down in your book do not clean motor with carb cleaner... :bangin:

Image Image Image Image
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I think the reason slixtyfive questioned the leak location is because there is no oil under pressure passing between the head and the block. The pressurized oil passes up the push rods to the valves and gravity brings it back through the head to the block and pan. Any pooling would occur at the valve side of the head. You may have a bad head gasket, but it would probably not leak enough to notice. I'd suspect the valve covers or even the PCV valve and the oil running down and collecting at the head gasket.
therealjoeshmoe

WELL THE HEADS ARE DRY NO OIL ON THEM BUT I THINK MY PROBLEM MAY HAVE BEEN THE VALVE COVER GASKETS.. WHEN I PUT THEM ON THE BACK SLIDE OUT OF PLACE.. AS YOU CAN SEE IN PIC.. IT HAD TO BE DRIPPING DOWN ON THE HEAD NOT RUNNING DOWN.. THE PIC IS DECEIVING BECAUSE I HAD A OILY RAG I WAS WIPING TRYING TO SEE WHERE IT WAS COMING FROM.. WELL I NEVER CLAIMED TO BE A PROFESSIONAL... LOL

ANYWAY IM GONNA TRY A NEW SET OF VALVE COVER GASKETS AND CROSS MY FINGERS...

Image Image Image Image
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

I cannot really tell from the pictures, but if the valve cover gaskets do not fix it, look really really close at the intake manifold gasket where it mates to the head and block.
I had this happen to me and it was frustrating to find - and the answer was quite simple once I located the real problem.
If the engine was lifted from the intake (even with a proper lift plate) and one or more of the intake bolts were not fully torqued down, the intake can shift up. The seal between the head and intake can remain OK, without causing a vacuum leak, but the intake can lift up off the block enough to allow an oil leak.
Initially, you would not think it would leak much that way, but the spinning camshaft below the intake throws a lot of oil up.
The solution was to loosen all the intake to head bolts, rap on the intake with a hard rubber hammer (or use a block of wood at each bolt point) and then retighten. I got away with it that way, fortunately.

Good luck, and hope this helps.
F7BIGJOB
Location: West Greenwich, Rhode Island & Providence Plantations
United States of America

Post by F7BIGJOB »

Joe, not to steal this thread, Hey, John glad to see you on tonight. Thinking about you alot man, and I am not a religious person, but your health is in my thoughts.
F7BIGJOB
-Steve

1965 F-250 4x4 Flareside

ImageImage
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Joey, as John said, that intake can be a real PIA, and not just the weight! If you end up pulling it, a lot of the FE guys don't use the valley seals which clip over the block webbing. A big bead of silicone sealant works well and tends to stay in place if allowed to tack over before installation. Well, most of the time, anyway!
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
therealjoeshmoe

i didnt lift it from intake and it has a edelbrock intake on it... im thinking valve cover gaskets.. this leak was happening when i filled it up with oil, not running...

Image Image Image Image