Anti rattle kit install before or after paint

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

rderr

Anti rattle kit install before or after paint

Post by rderr »

Does it make better sense to install an anti rattle kit in my doors before or after new paint? I am not too sure if there is much risk of damaging the new paint if I try to istall the kit afterward. I am doing a complete restore and am trying to plan what to order when and in what order to accomplish things.

Thanks,
Rick
foodstick

Re: Anti rattle kit install before or after paint

Post by foodstick »

I suppose the best answer would be to sort of test fit. To make sure that things are lining up before painting. Then paint and reinstall the parts...
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

i've pondered this phase myself. Ultimatly if you are doing a complete or authentic restore , felts and rubber would have to go in after paint and you would have to tape off any areas in question next to paint (alot!) but necessary to keep from possibly damaging some paint. More importantly areas around windows and seals have to be painted first to get good coverage IMHO.

The more I own and use my old truck I think i will not repaint the exterior. The paint is poorly repainted and some surface rust BUT therefore of no great concern to care of. I just wash it down at the car wash occasionally or even with comet and a scrub brush! sometime I touch up the bad spots with a rattle can of black primer.

I plan to go ahead and install the new rubber and anti rattle stuff and get that benefit as I have had the stuff sitting around for a long time trying to decide on repainting or not.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Are there any quality kits that have a modern rubber seal instead of felt?
Chris
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

biggest chance of messing up paint comes from installing the division bar, i left the plastic on till after it was in.
the felt anti rattle pieces are pretty easy to install.

there are no rubber anti-rattle kits that i know of and im not real sure they would be any better or last any longer.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

I painted first and had no problem. Tom
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

The rubber seal would shed more water. I drill 2 extra holes in door but would be nice to have more protection. Seems these slicks were intentionally designed with water pockets.
Chris
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

One thing I will add practice makes perfect getting the long divider bar in there ! I actually cut about 1.5 inches off of mine before and bent a new tab into it. If you do it right the window still goes all the way down, and that ole bar goes into the door much easier.

I did write up a LONG instruction of how I put my doors back together in the tips area.. believe me, the doors go together like a puzzle..