1962 4 Wheel Drive Front Clip help needed

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

624WD

1962 4 Wheel Drive Front Clip help needed

Post by 624WD »

I am rebuilding the front clip of my 62 4WD. (Man, these things were not designed to be taken apart!). I need an exploded view of the radiator support and how it goes together,with the assembly of the inner and out fenders, and lower valance. My manuals do not have that information.

My radiator support is rusted through. Does anyone know why the catalog radiator supports say "Not 4wD" And what difference there would be between the 2WD and 4WD radiator supports?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tom
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: 1962 4 Wheel Drive Front Clip help needed

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

exploded front clip

more of those here

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14038

as to the core support 2wd vs 4x4 as you can see from the LMC catalog its the same one (43-2855-T)

1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

If its REALLY BAD ...

Its best to take the entire front end off in one piece so you can tip it forward and back to work on...

Also there are three bolts in the bottom center of the grille that will break the clips.. its easiest to drill up under them thru the rad. support.. You may be like some of us though and that part is already rusted away ;)

The ones I hate are the ones that usually need a small set of vice grips way up top/front INSIDE of the front fender
624WD

Post by 624WD »

Yes, thanks, I agree. These front clips were not meant to be taken apart! :cussing:

My radiator support is rusted away along the bottom member and at the welds where the headlight bucket indents are too.. Its toast. Time for a new one. Think I will just cut away and expose the bolts and captured nuts and grind them off. I cannot ever seem to get a pair of small vise grips to hold on to the square nuts too.

Thanks you for the picture posting. I just ordered a parts manual as well. Also learned that some catalogs say the rad. support is NOT 4wd. That is not the case. It will work with a 4WD front. Trying to locate the medium duty lower valance too...mine is toast as well, and previous repairs just welded it together and to the radiator support. Ya gotta love the cheap and fast field repairs on these old wok horses.

tom