Wiring help

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

rbeck204
United States of America

Wiring help

Post by rbeck204 »

I am getting most of my wiring reinstalled in the 65 F100 crew cab. I cannot find a wiring diagram that shows the sweep speedo dash with the added ammeter and oil pressure gauge. If anyone has a diagram, I could sure use it.

I am using the stock wiring harness and the truck is a 352 with a C6. The truck had the same gauge package originally.

A couple of questions:
1. I assume I need two senders for oil pressure, one for the light and one for the gauge. If so, Do they mount in a tee at the usual location near the oil filter? Again, if so, Any idea where the second wire for the second sender might have been run in the original harness?
2. I found a wiring diagram for the ammeter and it shows two black wires running to it. I assume there is a correct way to land those wires. In other words how can you know which black wire goes to which side of the ammeter? It appears that they both run back to the starter solenoid.

Thanks for the help

Rich
61 T Bird Convertible
1953 Ford Customline 2 door
bobenhotep
United States of America

Re: Wiring help

Post by bobenhotep »

If you wire the ammeter backwards it will read backwards. If you hook it up and turn on your headlights without the engine running, and it says you are charging instead of discharging, it is backwards.

As far as I know the oil pressure gauge wire to sender runs through the rubber grommet on the firewall, along with the ammeter wires.

Dan
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

1. yes you will need 2 senders and you will also need both hooked up thru the instrument voltage regulator.obviously this means one for a light and one for gauge they are different senders.
while this pic is of a round panel with oil pressure gauge instead of light the hookup to the voltage reg is the same, you will need to splice in (black w green stripe) a wire to the vr from the low side of the pressure gauge, as ford disconnected the light and plugged in the gauge wire.

2. the harness for the ammeter and oil pressure is a separate add on harness installed either at the factory or the dealership. + is the wire coming in from the alt, - is the side going out.
disconnecting the alt wire from the starter relay battery side, attach it to the junction, attach one side of the harness wire there, that wire is +
on the ammeter.- from the ammeter back to the battery side of the relay

1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
rbeck204
United States of America

Post by rbeck204 »

Thanks guys. That will keep me going. Can't wait to fire the engine. It's been over 40 years since this truck has been on the road.
Rich
61 T Bird Convertible
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Go get em Richard,you have a lot of work on her, can't wait to see it running,you going to drive it back or trail it?
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
rbeck204
United States of America

Post by rbeck204 »

john,
Definitely shipping not driving.

I'm hoping to fire the engine on my next trip back. So mid October look for a puff of smoke east of you.

Rich
61 T Bird Convertible