Alright, it's staying...

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Oregoon

Alright, it's staying...

Post by Oregoon »

Hey all,

Been a month or so, and I've ironed out some work-issues and life is settling down. My long suffering '66 was for sale for a while, and after I turned down several offers of $1000, I realized I simply can't sell it though I needed to really badly.

The main reason I couldn't let it go is the people on this website. Despite thinking the 'slick would have to be replaced by a van, I've been lurking around the board, laughing at the usual offenders, digging build threads, wishing I could go to Slickstock, and wrestling with the fact I love my pickup and would like to see it in daily-driver service.

To make a very long story short, I've been absurdly busy with work, I've identified and excised the untenable issues with my current employer, and have put a fair chunk of change away, some of which is earmarked for a used motor. I may have located a 75K mile 4.9 here in Portland... We'll see...

It's been a really difficult several months for me, and I hope I never find myself up against the wall as hard as I was a few months ago.

Anyway, expect more of my inept questions soon!
Working on a '66 F100 with a '71 240 and the original three-on-the-tree...
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: Alright, it's staying...

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Oregoon wrote:It's been a really difficult several months for me, and I hope I never find myself up against the wall as hard as I was a few months ago

i think most of us have been in that spot before, i know i sure have.

glad you made the choice to keep your slick. still miss the ones i had to sell to move.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

I'm no longer relying on getting my 'slick in daily-driver condition on any kind of schedule. I'm bicycling around 100 miles per week and sharing a car with my wife, and that means I don't have to put a 240/300 in my truck. I love sixes though and want a 300.

That said, I've seen a few afforbable 390s around Portland--several of which I can hear run. Same for a few Windsors, and a 460.

New policy: I will never again buy an engine I can't hear run, no matter how nice the folk who are selling it, or how clean it looks.
Working on a '66 F100 with a '71 240 and the original three-on-the-tree...
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Glad to hear things are getting better, and also glad you decided to keep the slick.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Oregoon wrote:New policy: I will never again buy an engine I can't hear run, no matter how nice the folk who are selling it, or how clean it looks.

i have won and lost buying engines i have not heard run.
bought a 429 once from a junkyard to replace a pos 400, they gave me a 30 day warranty ended up about 3 months before i finally got it installed and running, ended up it was fine but still...

when i bought my short uni,i was told it did not run but i drove it for a year before taking it out.

crapshoot either way
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Mellvis

Post by Mellvis »

I've always lived by "Never part with Grandpa's truck, never part with Mom or Dad's Kawasakis". What is more important than that is "Never let the family do without food". As long as we're fed, these three stay. Glad it all worked out for you, congratulations.
1965 F100 "Papaw's Pride"

"So I'm working on a cistern inlet valve and the guy hands me a lock nut wrench! I was like 'What is this, a drainpipe slipknot!'" -Flo