Cowl Rubber Strip - anyone have a pic?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

White97

Cowl Rubber Strip - anyone have a pic?

Post by White97 »

I have a new DC cowl strip I want to install, my truck's was long gone when I got it. The DC kit has a bunch of sheet metal screws, cowl has little stubs? Anyone have a pic of how this installs?

Thanks
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
theastronaut

Re: Cowl Rubber Strip - anyone have a pic?

Post by theastronaut »

Those stubs are likely the original nails that were never taken out. The nails held down the rubber strip.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Mine Was So Rotten Most Of It Was Gone. I Yanked Those Little Nails Out With A Vice-Grip Using A Twisting Motion. Then Replaced The Cowl Strip With The Stainless Screws Provided. Pretty Straight Forward..........
skidoorulz
United States of America

Post by skidoorulz »

Mine (1964) was stapled to the cowl (must of been one powerful stapler) anyway after painting I could not bear to drill holes and use screws or the nails my new one came with, so I bought some 3M 1/2 inch emblem tape sticky on both sides. Cleaned the back side of the cowl trim with 3M adhesive remover, twice, and stuck it down to the cowl. That baby is stuck! I had my doubts but it worked.
slickstysix
United States of America

Post by slickstysix »

Which way does it go? It looks like the "flap" opening should go toward the windshield?
1966 SB, 2WD, 390FE, 3x2 6V carbs and intake, 3 on-the-tree (for now).
- Power brakes
- Pertronix electronic ignition
- Ron Francis wiring throughout
- DJM drop beams
- Halibrand Sprint 17x8 wheels
White97

Post by White97 »

So those stubs are nails? Man I have to be a carpenter AND a mechanic. I like the tape option over screws. But I still need to know which way the rubber lays on the cowl. I'm guessing the 'flap' goes towards the engine. Rubber seems too thin to provide a seal between the hood and the cowl. Taking Friday off to go out where the truck is stored and let the glass installers in to put in windshield and rear glass. Hopefully get this in after they leave.
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

slickstysix wrote:Which way does it go? It looks like the "flap" opening should go toward the windshield?

thats correct
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
White97

Post by White97 »

Ice is right. My parents neighbor has a showroom ready 65 f250 custom cab and he has the new weatherstripping in just as Ice said. Just long enought to cover over the nails after the are removed.
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Just a little advice on the glass install. Ford made a non hardening sealer that needs to be installed with new rubber seals to prevent leaks. Ford no longer makes this but it is available . Make sure the installer uses it and or has it available for the install. It's roughly 13$ a tube, which will do both front and back glass. Nasty gooey stuff but needed. If you will look at the seam in the glass openings you will see where Ford spot welded the pieces together. These areas need dressing up ( in my Opinion ) . I take a file to the opening to get rough or jagged edges off before I paint a cab. Wouldn't hurt to use body filler to smooth things out either. Makes windshield install a breeze.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
White97

Post by White97 »

Good to know, I questioned the glass installer he said not needed, you I trust, him I don't. He ended up putting the rear glass seal in backwards, and when I told him it was backwards he shattered the rear glass trying to correct. I had to order another rear glass and they will credit me and have someone from their company who has actually installed glass in a '66 come out to put in rear glass and windshield. I already jammed the cowl and glass lips, too late for putty or cleaning up edges.
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
White97

Post by White97 »

Well rear glass #2 arrived in about the same condition as the one the installer shattered, back it went, now another week or more of waiting.....
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
White97

Post by White97 »

And the saga continues, Scheduled for install #2 this past Friday, took the day off so I could be there, wait all day, finally get a call saying the windshield was sent back they are not coming out today, and oh, they are not responsible for breaking the rear glass when they tried to install it with the gasket backwards. So 2 vacation days burnt for an install that never happened, $81 in the hole for glass, one month behind on my schedule of where I wanted to be.

Let see where this goes when I stop in their office today.
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

White97 wrote:they are not responsible for breaking the rear glass when they tried to install it with the gasket backwards

really.
sounds like a poor business decision to me.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
White97

Post by White97 »

Well after threat of lawyer (many in the family) they stepped up and sent a senior installer who installed back window and windshield
and deducted the cost of the broken glass from the install labor.

Installer was on my side and couldn't believe what they were putting me through. He even offered to come out and put in rear glass on his own time for free. First installer not only had the seal on backwards, for 2 hours he was trying to install glass from outside the cab. Second guy was in and out of the garage in 25 minutes. Now time for me to install side glass and vents.
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed