Hood hinges

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

skidoorulz
United States of America

Hood hinges

Post by skidoorulz »

Anyone have any experience with repro hood hinges? I bought a set from MACS they are made in Argentina and they are JUNK. No adjustment due to bolts in slotted holes being at top of hole on 2 holes and bottom of hole in 1 hole. I know I won't be able to return them as I bought them a year ago. Any one know of any NOS ones still around or know of a company that repairs old hinges???
Last edited by skidoorulz on October 14, 2014, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
66camperspecial

Re: Hood hinges

Post by 66camperspecial »

Should be good used parts available.
thenephilm
United States of America

Post by thenephilm »

I have new hood hinges and don't have issues with them
Hi I'm Justin.
CHICOF100

Post by CHICOF100 »

Try this company, if you have your old hinges.
http://www.hoodhingerepair.com
skidoorulz
United States of America

Post by skidoorulz »

thenephilm wrote:I have new hood hinges and don't have issues with them

Where did yours come from??? The left one I got we could not get it to fold. Took the spring off and put it in a vice and it was so stiff we thought we were going to bend it before it moved. Finally got it moving and used powdered graphite on the pivot points and it got better but still tight. But they are definitely low quality to say the least.

I have a call in for the repair place suggested for them to call me back. I may send mine in. More money stuck into this project but I want it right. Should have went the repair route I guess but never really thought there was such a company out there.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I am a little baffled on the problems with hood hinges. The only issue I've run into was one that needed some oil to free up its movement. Is the problem that the hood does not sit right when closed? This would most likely be from the support on the hood or the hinges being slightly bent. I find it hard to believe that the hinge itself would wear out as the hoods are not opened all that often.
therealjoeshmoe

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

take a die grinder and extend the holes a little.. that way you will be able to use them
Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Thought I would get a formal quote for re-doing my hinges. Here is part of the response that I got back:

....Those Ford truck hinges from 61-66, are our highest priced hood hinges we rebuild! The reason being is the rivets are round on one end and are rectangle on the other end, where it is flared. That extra procedure makes for additional hours of milling machine time, thus more man hours needed to rebuild the hinges. The cost for just getting them back in primer or bare metal is 400.00, plus shipping.
We can spray paint them for 25.00 to paint them semi-gloss black or 75.00 to powder coat them in the same color. Powder coat is the most durable and best looking coating, as we have done a few dozen of those hinges and powder coated them.....

Think I will be looking at other options.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Steve: For myself, anything I do would never be concerned with having something "Concours Correct" so as long as they put a rivet back in there with the right OD for the ID of the holes, I'd be good to go.....did you ask them how much for hinges done with a rivet other than the "Factory Correct" style ?

James

LM14 wrote:Thought I would get a formal quote for re-doing my hinges. Here is part of the response that I got back:

....Those Ford truck hinges from 61-66, are our highest priced hood hinges we rebuild! The reason being is the rivets are round on one end and are rectangle on the other end, where it is flared. That extra procedure makes for additional hours of milling machine time, thus more man hours needed to rebuild the hinges. The cost for just getting them back in primer or bare metal is 400.00, plus shipping.
We can spray paint them for 25.00 to paint them semi-gloss black or 75.00 to powder coat them in the same color. Powder coat is the most durable and best looking coating, as we have done a few dozen of those hinges and powder coated them.....

Think I will be looking at other options.

SPark
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Since they bore the holes oversize, they actually turn rivet "blanks" down to the correct size for a .005 clearance fit. Don't think they want to get into one off stuff. They seem to exactly copy what came in the door.

Think it's time to call Tom.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!