Cast iron rust removal

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jercasche
United States of America

Cast iron rust removal

Post by jercasche »

Any tips on removing rust from cast iron to prep for paint? I have a bell housing, master cylinder, and exhaust manifold to paint. I have 1300 deg paint for the manifold. I finally found a 3speed bell :mrgreen:
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
808F250
United States of America

Re: Cast iron rust removal

Post by 808F250 »

If you're without a blast cabinet, you can wire brush the parts good and then wipe them down with a rust inhibitor like Rust-mort or corroseal before you paint.
If it's got tits or tires, You're gona have problems
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

You might try electrolysis. Worked nicely on some cast iron cooking pans for me once.
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

Have it hot tanked, wash it with soap and water when you get it home, dry it as quickly as possible, and you're ready.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Cast iron is porous and any type of rust removal is a problem. Blasting is most likely the best but the electrolytic is also good and cheap. Can be done with a battery charger . You need a plastic tub a sacrificial anode and washing soda (not baking soda). It does make a difference whether you hook the positive or negative terminal to the part being cleaned. If you hook it up backwards you can really mess up what your cleaning. Negative goes to anode if I remember right. Take it out once in awhile and wire brush it and put it back in until your happy with it. Just be sure to dry the part immediately after removal from the tank. You can get it done faster with a stronger power source . I was using a 6 amp charger most of the time, sometimes a 10 amp . Both were old charger I had lying around. Try to keep the wires and clamps out of the water. You can buy the washing soda in arm and hammer brand in the grocery store . You use about 1 tablespoon per gallon of water.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
Blackwaterforge

Post by Blackwaterforge »

Apple cider vinegar will remove rust from cast iron.
Backing soda will neutralize the vinegar.
If it cain't be fixed with a sledge hammer it must be an electrical problem!
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

64 f100 wrote:Cast iron is porous and any type of rust removal is a problem. Blasting is most likely the best but the electrolytic is also good and cheap. Can be done with a battery charger . You need a plastic tub a sacrificial anode and washing soda (not baking soda). It does make a difference whether you hook the positive or negative terminal to the part being cleaned. If you hook it up backwards you can really mess up what your cleaning. Negative goes to anode if I remember right. Take it out once in awhile and wire brush it and put it back in until your happy with it. Just be sure to dry the part immediately after removal from the tank. You can get it done faster with a stronger power source . I was using a 6 amp charger most of the time, sometimes a 10 amp . Both were old charger I had lying around. Try to keep the wires and clamps out of the water. You can buy the washing soda in arm and hammer brand in the grocery store . You use about 1 tablespoon per gallon of water.

Rich

A friend of mine made a very similar setup and cleaned up my single-pot master cylinder. Came out a nice dark grey. I've had it in storage ever since but I may need to take another peek and see how it's held up over the years.