Another possible way to lower a twin I beam?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

66camperspecial
United States of America

Another possible way to lower a twin I beam?

Post by 66camperspecial »

I only want to lower my 66 2 inches at the most so I got looking at it and noticed where the pivot part of the beam mounts there is room to drill holes above the existing hole and I also got wondering if there were any longer spring pockets made on other years so it could be lowered only slightly and not disturbing the geometry too much. I know I can dropped beams but I think they drop them 3 plus inches and I know I could clip it but I still want to be able to get under it for oil changes and not having to jack it up.
slixtyfive
United States of America

Re: Another possible way to lower a twin I beam?

Post by slixtyfive »

You can raise the mounting point of the I-beam and either shorten the spring or raise the spring bucket but you will have to also adjust for beam-to-cross member clearance and then oil pan clearance. You will also need to adjust for the tie-rod location changing.
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
66camperspecial
United States of America

Post by 66camperspecial »

I am going to cut one coil off the springs and see how it sits,I really only want to lower it about a inch and a half to two inches.
lineman1984
United States of America

Post by lineman1984 »

Be careful cutting coil springs. I did this with my 66 F100 with 352 V8. Someone correct me if I am wrong but the coils may be different lengths because 352's were slightly offset to the right (pass. side). The right coil is a bit longer to compensate for the extra weight of the motor. If you have a six cylinder you may not have this problem. I cut one and a half coils out of both sides on mine and lowered about 2 inches. I really like the stance. I plan on upgrading to drop beams but the coil cut was fast and easy and works until I have the money for new beams. My tires have about 8000 miles on them and are not wearing unevenly. But the camber is definitely off and worse on the drivers side because of the difference in coil spring length.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

For the benefit of others considering this, that's a point well worth mentioning, Lineman! And if sometime in the past, progressive rate springs have been installed; it often makes matters worse. It may be of little concern to some, but very evident on others.
There are shims available for the spring seat to correct any height differential which might result. Naturally, a quality alignment should be considered at the minimum, with toe-in being the biggest concern (and easiest correction).
Like your application, I have several "flexi-flyers" on which the camber looks terrible from a static view, yet handle well and have no abnormal wear on 33x12.50/15 tires.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
therealjoeshmoe

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

my coils are exactly the same length.. there was a shim on the driver side under the spring perch though...
Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Usually there is a difference in free height as well as wire diameter. With 50 year old vehicles, there are myriad possibilities. Even if an equal height; once cut, the installed height may vary due to the different stiffness of the differing wire diameters. Enough to be a concern? Maybe, maybe not, just like most modifications to these trucks.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
lineman1984
United States of America

Post by lineman1984 »

Thanks for the shout out Paul. I have been hanging around the outside of this forum for a year and a half since I bought my 66. Decided to join when I started my current project, an upgrade to 73 discs and master cylinder. This is gonna be a learning experience for me. Really cool to have a talk with one of the elders around here. Happy to be here and helping out!!!