8' bed weight?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64 f100

Re: 8' bed weight?

Post by 64 f100 »

I can see why you wouldn't want a Dodge or any Mopar truck to build. For some reason Mopar built some nice looking cars, and lagged behind on the trucks until more recent years. I am opinionated in regards to engine choice, and prefer the heart of a Ford stay Ford. Mostly, I got this way from walking by the belly button hotrods at shows which contained brand X small blocks. Got so I won't even bother to look unless it has something interesting under the hood. Hemi would qualify or Hispano Suiza , just something with at least a little originality. I'm not flaming your, your build looks like a lot of serious work. I respect people who do something different, but please don't expect me to read about a small or big block brand X and be happy. To be absolutely honest, I've often thought a supercharged 3.8 Buick engine would nice, mainly I think it would perform well and get some fuel mileage, which our trucks need. Anyway, it would at least be something different and not belly button approach.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
SRSControls
United States of America

Re: 8' bed weight?

Post by SRSControls »

Rich,

I agree the done all-too-often small block is not very original or unique. Even though my build will be a "small block chevy", it's not the same one you can buy parts for at every 99 cent store. I plan on using an LQ9 6.0 liter engine from a Silverado SS. In stock trim, this engine made 340HP and 380lb torque. Mine won't be stock, as I have already had the heads fully worked, plan on using a "lumpy" cam :mrgreen: and a few other goodies along with some custom programming. Originally I was going to go with a 4L80E slushbox, but as of very recently, I have changed my mind and am going with a T56.

I am not powering the truck with a chevy motor because I think it's the right way to go, I'm doing it because I have the motor and have already invested way too much into it to recoup if I were to sell.

Side note, I just picked up a new piece of the puzzle for the old girl last night.....Independent rear suspension from an '89 Mercury Cougar XR7 Supercharged! 8.8" rear with limited slip and disk brakes! I'm pretty JAZZED!! :wink:

Thanks again everyone for your support and encouragement. I should be able to start a build thread shortly after the first of the year when work slows down a bit.

P.S. A very heartfelt THANK YOU to all men and women who have served this great country and the families who support them from a fellow veteran!

"If you didn't pay to buy the parts, sweat and shed your own blood to build it, pay to register it, and pay to insure it, your opinion of it is of no matter to me."

"This is the Hotrod section....we drive our trucks. The trailer queens are over there!"

64 F-100 Short Bed (Under Construction)
Industrial Chassis Dakota crossmember kit #16
Industrial Chassis Brake Pedal Kit
"Top Secret" drive train