Door hinge pin/bushing replacement

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

slixtyfive
United States of America

Door hinge pin/bushing replacement

Post by slixtyfive »

My door hinges are pretty sloppy so I need to replace the pins/bushings. Just thought i'd check here first for any advice or suggestions from those who have already done this.

Thanks in advance!
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
White97

Re: Door hinge pin/bushing replacement

Post by White97 »

pretty easy, I had the door off, so I was working with the hinges off the truck and in a vise on a bench

1 - Knock out old pin
2 - drill pin holes for new bushings
3 - Install bushings and hammer pin into new bushings
4 - install hinges.
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Where did you get the pins and bushings? Did you use a twist bit, or reamer to auger out the holes?
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

My doors are off too so I have removed the hinges. Unfortunately, they are freshly painted. I had asked for the pins to be replaced before it was painted but the guy at the body shop said they were good and tight and didn't need to be replaced - BS!!

Oh well.

Anyway, back to the subject... I though it should be fairly simple and straight forward as you indicated but mine appear to have a 'head' on both ends (both ends of each pin)and each head has three tiny holes in them almost as if there might be a special tool (like the two pin screwdriver but with three pins in a triangular pattern) to unthread them or something?? If not, then do they just need to be ground off on one end or the other or?? I'll try go get a pic posted tonight to better explain...

I assume it doesn't make a difference but for reference this is on my '65.
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

This is the bottom of the pin.....

The top side is the same with another 'head' on top of this same washer with the three holes.

Is the washer with the three holes actually part of the hinge and the pin just needs to be driven out.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Drive the pin out from the bottom up. That is a re-enforcement washer welded in place.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
White97

Post by White97 »

Yes those stay. I just used a regular drill bit to open the hole up enough for the bushing, can't remember size.
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
William-in-St George

Post by William-in-St George »

I took mine to a local machinist and he installed cheeevee valve guide liners and reamed them to fit some door hinge pins I bought at Fasten All. Fairly cheap, simple and works like a charm. Old Ford Don't seem to mind those cheeevee parts.
William-in-St. George
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

Got distracted with a few other things and just getting back to this now....

So based on the pin/bushing kit from LMC, where do the new bushings go - each end of the middle portion of the hinge or in the outer portion of the hinge where the reinforcing washers pictured above are?

The pin that came with the kit is knurled just under the head so that makes me think the bushings go in the middle hinge piece. But it doesn't appear there will be clearance for the flange on the bushing to go between the two hinge pieces.....?? It would probably help and I can tell more if I take one a part but I kind of want to have a better understanding before doing that.

On a side note, should the top hinge or bottom hinge have the spring (or does it matter)?? I forgot to make a note of which was where before I removed them :oops:
William-in-St George

Post by William-in-St George »

Top hinge has the spring. Middle section gets bushed, top and bottom don't move. I'd do one at a time so you don't windup with issues. IMHO!
William-in-St. George
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

OK thanks for the info. That's where I was headed but it's always good to get confirmation.

And yes - I am planning to do one at a time........!