who has used an xj6 clip on a 65 or 66?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shocker998md

who has used an xj6 clip on a 65 or 66?

Post by shocker998md »

Im trying to get all my ducks in a row here. My truck is a 66 F100 with a 390 and a c6. In the near future im robbing my powersteering box off a 73 f250 along with the pulleys and pump. But heres my questions because I havent seen any finished clips on the 65 and 66s.

1: will that power steering box work with the rack on the Jag stuff? Will I need to come up with anything to make that powersteering setup work?

2: With a rear sump pan will the jag clip work with that engine set up?

3: I want to go power brakes while Im doing all this. Will a 70s set up from drum/disk work for this along with a proportioning valve?

That should be about it, I was looking at a member on here, hillbillyf100 but he has dropped off and didnt clip the truck. So can anybody help get my ducks in a row before I pull the trigger on a clip?

Im just trying to do a budget clip thats a cradle set up and will let me sit low and have a narrow track width. Im not comfortable cutting and zing my frame to use a gbody or camaro clip so I think the jag or areostar clip will be the ticket for me. The crown vic is way to wide for my tastes.
SRSControls
United States of America

Re: who has used an xj6 clip on a 65 or 66?

Post by SRSControls »

Have you looked into Industrial Chassis? Mine is a 64 but I know he was working on a '65 and '66 kit.

http://www.industrialchassisinc.com/?p=1624

Here's a pic of mine.

"If you didn't pay to buy the parts, sweat and shed your own blood to build it, pay to register it, and pay to insure it, your opinion of it is of no matter to me."

"This is the Hotrod section....we drive our trucks. The trailer queens are over there!"

64 F-100 Short Bed (Under Construction)
Industrial Chassis Dakota crossmember kit #16
Industrial Chassis Brake Pedal Kit
"Top Secret" drive train
shocker998md

Post by shocker998md »

Yes I have, bottom line is I cant afford that kit. I should be able to do the jag Clip alot cheaper.

His kits are top notch, I may bounce prices again but last time I checked I think id have the jag rebuilt for less than just his kit, not counting the rest of the Dakota stuff id need.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

It sounds to me as if you are over-paying for the Dakota components. Unless you like running Jag OEM wheels which don't match your rear wheels; I believe I'd put a pencil to it again! Dakota replacement parts are readily available, usually more attractively priced, and with the D100 rotors, you can reuse your existing matching tires and wheels, at least until your budget allows other choices, if desired.
Full disclosure: I have not done the Jag conversion; it was once appealing until Steve developed his kit.
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
65styleside
United States of America

Post by 65styleside »

I put an xj6 clip under my 65. I put the engine/trans out of a 1995 mark viii, some I can't help with everything but I might be able to help with some questions.
1: your ps pump should be fine, the pressures are fairly close. Any tubes and hoses shop can make you some new hose pretty cheap. Just get your measurements and take in the the old hoses so they can match the ends. My ps pump was way to high pressure, I had to add a heidts pressure reducing valve to get rid of the twitchy steering at highway speeds.
2: the clip is pretty small and sits pretty far forward. I can't imagine it would even be close to to oil pan. I have tons of room between my pan and clip, I even sectioned my clip up into my frame rails around 1.5 inches to drop my ride height.
3: mine has four wheel manual discs and it stops pretty damn good. You can get a new booster and mc and be in business pretty quick. You will probably need to move the mount point for your brake rod. Look up pedal ratio, easy as drilling a new whole.

Extras:
it's a weird angle from the column to the rack. You will need a double u-joint, a support bearing and the u-joint at the rack. Don't skimp on any of these components, an extra 20 or 30 bucks the first time will save a whole new purchase when some pos china component breaks.
The jag hubs are big and can make finding wheels tough, the wheels I used had a high offset so I added some spacers, no issues now.

I'm pretty happy with it, it rides nice. steering is tight and fIrm, it's stiffer than a small car, not really one hand parking lot maneuvers but definetly not Manuel steering. I added air shocks to my mark viii rear clip and am super happy with the ride overall. That's all I can think of now. Let me know if you have other questions.
Truckfarmer2

Post by Truckfarmer2 »

The Jag is the easiest clip I have ever done. 65 Styleside said it all pretty good.
If you continue to buy imports, where will your children work?
557f1
Australia

Post by 557f1 »

Have a look at this site,easy to follow instructions .

http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/f100.html
pcola60
United States of America

Post by pcola60 »

I used C4 corvette suspension front and rear on my 61 Uni. Kit from Flat Out in ca. All works well but I just got it running so I have not had any road time yet.
luckystiff
United States of America

Post by luckystiff »

i use the ps pump from the jag but i've heard others say they used ford with no problems........

i do jag in f100s and am over in the hickory,nc area if you need any info....