Tires

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Jacobs63

Tires

Post by Jacobs63 »

Anyone running bias ply tires on their slick? Looking for some white walls and I noticed that bias plys are quite a bit cheaper that radials. Pros/cons anyone?
truckster

Re: Tires

Post by truckster »

From what I understand bias ply tires are more rigged therefor 'walk' more than radials due to less traction with the road. They also don't last as long because instead of having steel belt construction they use layers of nylon.

On a daily driver I would highly recommend raidals. For a weekend warrior on shorter trips you might be ok with bias ply
Jacobs63

Post by Jacobs63 »

Thanks. I think in gonna go with bias plys. My truck is more of a past time money pit then a daily driver. I might put 250 miles a year on it. I just love tinkering and modifying it.
63Slick

Post by 63Slick »

I put bias ply white walls on mine - from Summit. Haven't driven it yet so can't comment on ride. They look good, though!
BigWindowFord
United States of America

Post by BigWindowFord »

Don't get the ones that say they have "nylon" in them as they flat spot from sitting and it looks like your truck sits a lot. They will go thump, thump, thump until they are warm and become round again.
So if you drive only a couple of miles to a car show you will be highly annoyed :)
F164

Post by F164 »

I put L78-15 wide whites with 15x7 wheels on my 64. Rides the way Ford intended it to ride, steers easily in parking lots. Im happy.

bigmcgiv

Post by bigmcgiv »

you can do what alot of rat rodders are doing. im not saying it is safe. but get a set of raised white letters and buff them down with a sander. there are quite a bit of you tube vids on it. you can get a used set for 150 bucks or so. may be a option. it cant be any worst than the old lady scuffing them off on a curb.
63Slick

Post by 63Slick »

Here's pics of my bias ply white walls - haven't even washed off the blue protectant.

Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

American classic have whitewall radial tyres in both wide and 1.5" widths. I bought the 1.5" version and they weren't too expensive although we don't have bias ply to compare! I think they are made by coker but still under the A.C. brand.

Oh and I'm drooling over both those trucks posted with whitewalls.... Looks great!!