300 I6 not running.. Sunday night chat crew

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Anthony
United States of America

300 I6 not running.. Sunday night chat crew

Post by Anthony »

OK, you guys were wanting a compression check and every cylinder is between 175-180... so I don't have a compression problem... this has to be simple... I will be back on Sunday night for more help.. thanks guys :) any way possible that my 600cfm carb is too big for my .060 over 300 six? getting too much fuel? it ran to Iowa with it? looks like I might be pulling the valve cover to watch the rockers and see if I wiped a lobe or two :|
LM14
United States of America

Re: 300 I6 not running.. Sunday night chat crew

Post by LM14 »

The 600 worked fine for all those miles to Iowa and the other carb you put on didn't help. You've changed the ignition system, plugs, wires, carb and have good compression.

Did you get to check the timing?

How about the dwell with a dwell meter?

My guess is cam lobe or rocker issue.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I missed the conversations, so I may be missing the issue. I wouldn't expect cam lobe or rocker problems to result in a "no-start". Such problems most likely would affect cranking compression readings also.
I tend to agree with Steve, a full range of ignition/ timing checks may be helpful. As usual, that old "ground" issue tends to pop up in these matters. It is not unheard of to have a defective new condenser either.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

300s also have a history of stripped distributor drives. If you haven't already, might be worth checking to affirm that number one timing is not moving from original position, although back fires should result in that case.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

Cam gear or ignition... My guess

And be sure that gas is being pumped to carb
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
aarons428
Germany

Post by aarons428 »

How about rockers being to tight and holding valves open??
2010 Ford Edge
99 Ford Expedition
65 Ford f-100 swb
460 stock other than a double roller timing chain and a s475 TURBO pushing 6psi of boost (now 12lbs)
351 W Pulled and on garage floor in storage
428 4v (R.I.P)
c-6 wide ratio modified
torino front stub
home made ladder bar rear with air bags
11.96 sec @ 110mph 1\4mile (best with the 428)
Nathan390
United States of America

Post by Nathan390 »

He has compression.. so its doubtful that its cam rocker related.

First check.. is there spark?
Second check.. is the fuel coming from carb?

If you have both of those then its a timing issue..

If it was cam gear you would think the compression would be effected or affected.. but it would be all cylinders.

I never saw a post or comment saying it was back firing so I'm guess no voltage to or through the distributor.
Nathan Cooper,
1965 slick f100 4*4
1963.5 falcon sprint
1963 falcon squire wagon
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

I was in the Sunday chat session. He can get it to run and then it has fouled plugs, if I remember correctly. The impression I got was that he has a weak spark, but I am not an expert on Kettering ignition, I am an electronic ignition guy.

Dan
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

He said it started but ran very rough. Couldn't keep it running long enough to get a dwell or timing reading. Said it takes gas when you open up the carb but doesn't accelerate the engine. From his description I first thought a coil or retarded timing.

He has replaced the fuel system and ignition system. I do not know if the replacement parts were brand new or ones taken from something else.

No backfires were mentioned.

This is a freshly rebuilt engine that was broken in for a week or 2 and then driven to Iowa for SS and back home. It started acting up on the way home and got worse until it reached it's present state. It hasn't been drivable since he got home from SS.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

One of the tricks I use to set the dwell is to take the plugs out, and check/set the dwell w/o the engine running just using the starter. What type of carb are you using? I had fits trying to get the 390 CFM Holley running on my 300, I finally swapped it with a 500 CFM Edelbrock and it runs fine. If your floats are off, it can cause a rich condition and you can see the extra gas coming in from the top of the carb.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Cranking dwell check can be a good diagnostic tool for dwell variations, or for a vehicle suspected of having a worn timing chain. The original cam gear on the LD 300 was fiber; i wouldexpect the rebuild to utilize a metal gear.
As has been stated, lack of backfiring would lead me to carefully check ignition related problems first, regardless of the newness of parts.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

you can get the gear in both nylon and steel, i prefer steel some folks use nylon because they say its quieter, personally that is not a convincing reason.

if the plugs are getting fouled then the spark is not hot enough to burn the fuel or there is too much fuel to burn.there is also the issue of possible bad gas.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Check the grounding wire inside the distributor. I use the petronics and had a similar problem, they sent a list and that was on it, fired right up
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

Sorry to be late in this thread, Anthony, but I spent the last few days in the hospital for chemotherapy related issues.
My gut feeling still tells me this is ignition related, but rocker issues might mimic some of this as well.
I suspect first of all the condenser has gone bad. Some will come bad new out of the box, so this isn't that unusual. Try replacing that first, it is cheap and easy enough.
Also, have you checked the points? For excessive burning or slipping from a loose screw? Also, to make sure you have a good gap starting point for the dwell? I seem to recall that a 0.20 gap with a feeler gauge is a good place to start, but have read online that 0.27 is factory specs. (Keep in mind that changing the dwell also changes the ignition timing, but that can be worked with, and might even get the truck running again, enough to get all the settings correct.) Too large or too small a gap will cause ignition problems also.

Second, the way it ran well, then began to run poorly, then just ran out of power seems to me that something is slipping out of adjustment. One possible cause is the distributor hold down bolt is loose, so the distributor "walked" a bit, throwing off the timing. Another one is a stripped distributor gear shear pin, or wiped gear teeth.

Have you tried to alter the timing by moving the distributor itself by just a few degrees? Be sure to mark the existing location, then advance it a bit. (Advance the timing by rotating the distributor body opposite the direction the rotor turns.) You won't hurt anything this way, and if this method gets it running, you can time it properly. If advancing it won't get it started, try retarding the timing by moving the distributor body the same direction the rotor turns.

I hope this helps, and best of luck finding and fixing the problem.
joefordtruckf250
United States of America

Post by joefordtruckf250 »

Second the condenser. Brand new one from Autozone in my 240 Inline went bad. replaced it with one I found in my basement, and now runs great. AutoZone one was intermitant. Seems to get hot and stop working like a bad coil would.
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

I have tried i all guys... new points, condenser, dizzy, fuel pump, carb, ect...ect... I have set the timing and it still wont run but just spit and sputter... my mechanic said to bring it to him and he will get it right for me... he does me well on price so she will be loaded tomorrow and off to a real Dr. and not and away from this back yard medicine man... thanks for all the replies and help guys but I am just not a "real" mechanic.. but I will try it till I can't get it to run.. :roll: oh yea, I'm there.. :mrgreen:
aarons428
Germany

Post by aarons428 »

Its time for a BIG BLOCK!!!!!
2010 Ford Edge
99 Ford Expedition
65 Ford f-100 swb
460 stock other than a double roller timing chain and a s475 TURBO pushing 6psi of boost (now 12lbs)
351 W Pulled and on garage floor in storage
428 4v (R.I.P)
c-6 wide ratio modified
torino front stub
home made ladder bar rear with air bags
11.96 sec @ 110mph 1\4mile (best with the 428)