New Guy from Virginia

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

SteveCanup
United States of America

New Guy from Virginia

Post by SteveCanup »

Hi all from S.W. Virginia. Just found this great site a week or so ago. I sold my '55 Dodge 1/2 ton this past spring and bought another F-100 to restore. I had restored a '66 F-100 back in the early 1990's and then had to sell it. I now have a '64 with a 292, 3 speed, yada, yada. Mechanics are good, body and interior were fair. I've finished a 'redo' on the interior and installed new wheels/tires. I have a set of mono springs coming to lower the front. I have a question...If I pull a few springs from the back spring pack to lower it a few inches will I have to reset the pinion angle? Thanks for any input. Great site! I've already spent way to much time going through all of the threads on here.
Steve-
Last edited by SteveCanup on November 14, 2014, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1964 F-100
64 f100

Re: New Guy from Virginia

Post by 64 f100 »

Good question, and to answer I would say depends, but might be better to get reverse eye main leafs. I've done the removing leafs thing on my 64 but haven't had it on the road since I've done this. Just wondering what your reasoning is on the springs. Do you want to lower the truck or is it the stance that is bothering you? Spring sag may make it look lower in front, and those springs may need re-arched or replaced. Something you may want to check are the spring shackle bushing and the spring bushings. These are rubber and fail after several years. This can drop the front of the truck an inch or in that range. Our truck were built to haul a load and were sprung in the rear to carry it and look to me like these are running down hill most of the time. However, this may not have been the appearance when new. I took two leafs out on my short bed flair side, but I do not intend to haul gravel or anything of any real weight on my new bed with the hundred dollars worth of spar varnish I used on it. Yeah, I spent 100$ in spar varnish to finish the bed. One other thing I will mention , is that the springs are not all the same. If you look in the parts book some had more leafs than others. I will also say that 65 and 6 had different springs left and right on the coil spring in front. Drivers side was about an inch taller than the passenger side. Why? I have no idea. Uncertain if spring rates were different on left side to right side on rear or front of the 64 and earlier. Something to think about.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

welcome.gif f r o m
K A N S A S
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Rich,
Yes I want to lower the truck at all four corners. The stance is too tall to suit me. I am not looking to "lay frame" or anything radical, I just think these old trucks look better lowered 4-6 inches. I have removed springs from the spring pack on other trucks and gotten good results. The last truck that I owned was a '55 Dodge and when I installed a '96 Jeep rear-end under it I had to set the pinion angle and weld new spring perches onto the axle. I'm just wondering if anyone would know if I would have to do this if I lowered the rear on my '64 F-100 a few inches. I don't want to destroy my universal joints or my tranny. And yes, my truck does look like it is running downhill...so I'm trying to get it to set a little more level.
Steve-
1964 F-100
BigBadDad

Post by BigBadDad »

Welcome from Botetourt County! Where You at?
Big Bad Dad
If it needs sayin', Say it!
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

BigBadDad
Thanks! I live in Austinville which is between Galax and Wytheville (and close to Hillsville). I just found this sight a few weeks ago and left the HAMB. I restored a '66 shortbed back in the early 90's and had to sell it :( :( I sold a '55 Dodge 1/2 ton in May and bought a '64 F-100 two days later...easier to find parts for and more fun to work on. Btw...would you know where I could find a bed? Mine is in fair condition. It had 1/2 inch (at least) of bondo in the drivers side of the bed. I dug it out and hammered most of the dent out but it will never be right unless I pay a professional $$$ to fix it. I would even be happy with just a replacement bed side. Anyway, I'm on here to get ideas and motivation.
Steve-
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

1964 F-100
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

:welcome: from West Virginia!! was just down through Lexington VA last weekend bringing another Econo-up home.. you have found the SLICKEST site on the web, welcome aboard!!
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Thanks Anthony! This site is excellent. I've been through just about every thread on here....I'm addicted. Lots of great ideas and information.
1964 F-100