Trash or Treasure? Two rough Uni's

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Arrowhead
United States of America

Trash or Treasure? Two rough Uni's

Post by Arrowhead »

I've been looking for a shortbed big back window Uni for over a year. I'm planning on a custom one off so the chassis, drive train, interior etc. are not important. But solid bed sides and cab are (floors and steps can be fixed obviously). I can find solid ones from time to time but they are always out west 2-3000 miles away. So I found these two Uni's about 150 miles from me and went to take a look. He's not actively trying to sell them, but let me look anyway. They are both very rough and not convinced either of these will be worth dragging home. At first glance I was very interested. But even though they seem solid and original metal (imported from Kansas many years ago), they have sat for many years outside and the undersides are heavily rusted. I've done extensive rust repair on vehicles before and know as soon as you try to grind, sandblast or weld this metal it will disintegrate before your eyes.

That being said, I think for the right price it might be worth it as there are some parts that might be worth getting.

Uni #1 big back window has some redeeming qualities as the rear window isn't cracked, but the trim has a couple of dents. The hood is shot and totally rusted around the edges. It's a '63 with door plate and some paperwork. The inner fenders are rotted away (can't see in the picture) and radiator support is paper thin. Bed sides seem solid with no filler, but have some bad spots. Has most of the Custom trim and is in very good shape. Has some unique rear view mirrors/spot lights. But as cool as they are and all glass intact, they are still heavily pitted. The tailgate is in fair shape but is rusted out on one side. Grill has two holes cut out. The engine is unknown but looks like a modern big block - air cleaner has 400 sticker on it.

Uni #2 is rougher as far as the bed sides. Radiator support seems more solid, and the hood is better than #1 (even though it has heavy surface rust, it is very solid and no dents). The grill is in excellent shape. The floors look to have been repaired. It's a '62 and has data plate on glove box.

I was considering taking them both home, but the time and expense of hauling two trucks kind of makes it not worth taking #2. I am thinking maybe offering taking #1 but also take the hood and grill from #2 (although I know it's the incorrect year grill)

Thoughts?

Last edited by Arrowhead on November 14, 2014, 9:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
Arrowhead
United States of America

Re: Trash or Treasure? Two rough Uni's

Post by Arrowhead »

Uni #2

slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

they look better than some I have seen guys 'save'
Hope you can get them for a decent price
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

What are you planning for the chassis?

Do you have room to store a parts truck?

Those both look saveable to me, so I'd be hesitant to simply use #2 as a parts truck. I do prefer the '62 grille though, and since you're not going with a resto then I don't think it would matter that it's not correct. It will likely depend on whether or not the owner is willing to just sell you some parts off of one, or if he would want both to go complete.

The money spent on transporting both may be better allocated towards acquiring better sheetmetal for #1, either by getting stock rust-free stuff from out west or just buying aftermarket replacements (rad support, for instance).

That being said, if #1 is really rough underneath, and this is just a thought, you may be further ahead to get both and graft the BBW on to #2. The hole in the bed floor of #1 is concerning to me and may be an indicator of even worse rust elsewhere.
skidoorulz
United States of America

Post by skidoorulz »

I'm from "out west" and I would say run. Run as fast as you can run. But there is a lot of good stuff out here. Not sure what you are used to but those 2 would be crushed out here. There is a BBW uni sitting in a junk yard here for sale that has sat there outside for 25 years that I know of and it isn't any where near that bad
Arrowhead
United States of America

Post by Arrowhead »

Thanks for the input. I would be planning on an all custom build including a new frame so the only thing I would really need is the body. I could see even building an all custom radiator support and inner fenders.

So basically I could part out most of both trucks and I guess what I'm trying to figure out is there any value to the parts I don't need like engines and drive trains, frames, etc. How about those mirror/spot lights? They are pretty cool. Were they an option or something? How about the body side trim? It's in pretty good shape.

skidoorulz wrote:I'm from "out west" and I would say run. Run as fast as you can run. But there is a lot of good stuff out here. Not sure what you are used to but those 2 would be crushed out here. There is a BBW uni sitting in a junk yard here for sale that has sat there outside for 25 years that I know of and it isn't any where near that bad

Sorry you feel that way but can't say I disagree. I wonder how much that one you know of is for sale for? Probably need to add another $1200 to that to ship it here. As far as what we're used to, I looked at this one a few weeks ago. I really couldn't find anything worth saving on this one except the doors were in decent shape:

1964WVFORD
United States of America

Post by 1964WVFORD »

I would consider any big window uni a treasure regardless of condition. They have the unique back window and are getting harder and harder to find. That uni seems to have several other rare options from the factory such as an automatic trans. as indicated from the dial located on the steering column and has had a grille guard on it at somepoint by the notches located in the grille, as well as a factory dash pad. They both look alot better than the one's I find around here in WV. I would save them both, but that is just my opinion. Lewis
Arrowhead
United States of America

Post by Arrowhead »

Well I decided to get them and they are home now. Was quite an ordeal getting them but it was worth it I think. Snow didn't help.

Here they are home safe and sound.

JOSHF100
United States of America

Post by JOSHF100 »

These trucks are getting harder to find as you know. Yours are in typical condition of the backwoods un-restored trucks around here. I would have dragged them home too.. JMHO.
64f100sixcylinder

Post by 64f100sixcylinder »

You just need to add air ride, a crate motor, interior by Sue, spray clearcoat over the "patina", a Gas Monkey Garage logo, and then you can sell each truck for $50,000. I know this plan would work as I've seen it on TV many times