1966 F250 verse 1965 F250 king pin

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Toyz
United States of America

Re: 1966 F250 verse 1965 F250 king pin

Post by Toyz »

Tom, been there, done that; that is one reason I tend to rely on your experience(s) for these situations. I think Banjo and others will agree, it's an experience curve. As we have discussed, Hollander is little help on these items, since they insist the beams are marked with the complete original part number. I have not found that to be true yet, and half the beams they list under their #155 do not fit all their listed applications. They do list the '65 beams as '65 specific, but do not show that info in the individual applications, only the interchange :evil: They then state the '65's are a direct interchange when supplied with the kingpins (which is correct, IME). Ford doesn't help the situation since the suffix may indicate two "mirrored" applications, but often represent the order of revisions. My situation is worse since I don't always mark removed parts nor often accurately remember what the original application was. In this situation one would have a heck of a time distinguishing a '65 from a '66, especially since the base engineering number remains the same. In reality, if replacing a set of beams, it wouldn't mean doodly until one went to order replacement pins. Even with original owner fleet vehicles, I have found the (apparently) '65 beams on other year applications, so even knowing the exact year of the donor sometimes is of no help.
In response to a FB post, I made an incomplete list of the various inconsistencies of the slicks through the years; I could have added much more, and I suspect Ice could expand well beyond my knowledge.
J.L.; hopefully these comments will help the understanding as to why these situations occur. As I previously stated, that is the big concern in buying from sources who don't specialize in our vehicles; there is an immense amount of incorrect information bandied about. No vendor knows it all; Tom has proven to be at the top of the class as to knowledge, probably due to the immense volume he works with.
Again, these are just my thoughts, as they say, your mileage may vary!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Early i beams, spindles and springs are the same right to left, F100 and F250. The F250 had different backing plates, hubs and drums. I have a 66 F100 i beam with C5TE B casting. The hook boss is undrilled and the king pin bolt is 1 5/8" center from top of bearing and the 65 is 1". After I measured eveything, just the steering stop boss was side specific, I swaped a left F100 i beam to replace my bent right F250 and used the factory replacement king pin kit neoprine(?)/plastic king pin bushings at first. 7 months latter they were loose so I replaced them with the 66 brass bushing type. Purchaced 65 king pins and had the 66 bushings reamed in. With that said you can replace your 66 i beam with any 65 and be fine. The 66 appears to be as interchangeable, if so you can have this one for shipping.
EDIT: Paul is right. The steering stop bosses are different left to right. The one I swapped side to side had a homemade spacer on the steering stop, I just happend to put it back on the correct side.
Last edited by chris401 on December 18, 2014, 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

While the beams, and springs physically interchange, close examination will reveal the differences. Spindles? Any examination should uncover the differences.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Not worth my breath
Last edited by 6166 Junkyard Dog on December 4, 2014, 7:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

ALSO as far as my business,, I have never pushed our Company or parts here I rather see other members sell to other members unlike other sites I have seen,,, here is my work schedule in year 2013 I had 3 days off that's Monday-Sunday Sundays we have people coming that cannot make it normally picking up items just to help them,, and those days still had phone with us,,, this year 2014 had days I went to Slick Stock off and anybody knows our phone still rang,, and I get up at 6:00 work till 10 or so at night,, and now the Govt. has just added more work I now have to register every vehicle bought with the US Govt. and NC State Dept. that takes time, then call in the middle of night some a$$ hole texting hits somebody gets kill and have to go clean up there mess,,, just like this pass Thanksgiving, working in 17 years we have not been home with our family etc.. BUT at a show helping others I like to see anybody try what me and Kathy does for a few days, putting up with all conditions we face every day, rain, snow, 100 + degree heat, DOT Inspections, idiots on the road, customers building trucks unsafe and have to correct there errors or from PO, hail storms, deer, in the last 3 month 3 tow truck drivers killed in NC when picking up vehicles on the side of the road and idiots not moving over, list goes on and on, other companies do not even come close to this and it's getting old.......
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Didn't realize anything was going on. I'm neutral.
Chris
k8keeper

Post by k8keeper »

Paul

Again I appreciate your input this is not my first restoration, but it is my first slick so any input is helpful.

Have a safe and happy holiday

J.L.
66camperspecial
United States of America

Post by 66camperspecial »

I have a pair of beams from a 66 F250 that are free for the taking but they have to be picked up and will not ship,they are still attached to the radius arms and not wanting to mess with the bolts.
k8keeper

Post by k8keeper »

Thanks for the offer but I am in Virginia Beach, VA. I am going to see if I can find one local.