65-66 1 Ton or 4x4 FE?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

chris401
United States of America

65-66 1 Ton or 4x4 FE?

Post by chris401 »

Were they offered before 67? Curious what timing cover was used on front mount engine before the C8 cast iron came out. I have a C4 cast iron with an intergrated water pump with a press on two grove cast iron pulley. I belive its a medium duty aplication. It was on a pickup 71 360 in my 49 bus/motor home conversion, not original to vehicle.
Chris
Toyz
United States of America

Re: 65-66 1 Ton or 4x4 FE?

Post by Toyz »

Yes, they were available, don't remember the prefix, but from description, yours is from a medium duty. I can't see it being on a 360 without modification, however, since the crank snout diameter is considerably larger on the MD's. Maybe a 361? I am not aware of any FE/FT application with an integrated pump or pressed on pulley.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

It may have had a custom crank seal but the engine, crank shaft spacer and guts were all run of the mill 360. Previous owner replaced the 391. He didnt know the differences till he drove it. Ill compare seal numbers one day and post. This cover is a C4TE.
Chris
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

I found this post on fordfe.com that conferms why what I have works.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/75943/th ... ont+covers

Here is info on what the front cover on FE 4x4/1 ton slick were.

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/ ... 9#msg22809
Chris
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Hawkrod is a master of info on this sort of thing, and the posts mentioning that the casting numbers DO NOT represent part numbers and applications is of utmost importance. Still have never encountered an "integrated" water pump on either FE's or FT's. Some of the bigger slick applications did utilize a different circulation system, but to my knowledge , the pumps were not integrated into the covers.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul