Tremec TKO behind a 390

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

slickstysix
United States of America

Tremec TKO behind a 390

Post by slickstysix »

I searched and didn't really find anyone that has put a Tremec TKO 500 or 600 in their slick with an FE motor from a junked vehicle. I would can't pay $2300 for a new one, so off to the recycler I go...
What vehicles came with these trannys so I know what to look for in the boneyard? I know these came with different input and output shaft splines and gear ratios.
Anyone with advice?
1966 SB, 2WD, 390FE, 3x2 6V carbs and intake, 3 on-the-tree (for now).
- Power brakes
- Pertronix electronic ignition
- Ron Francis wiring throughout
- DJM drop beams
- Halibrand Sprint 17x8 wheels
yellodog
United States of America

Re: Tremec TKO behind a 390

Post by yellodog »

what bellhousing could you use? will a regular fe bell work, or do you need some sort of adapter?
slickstysix
United States of America

Post by slickstysix »

I think I would need to get a Quick Time bell housing or similar = ~$650.
- Power brakes
- DJM drop beams
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

It seems we are all interested in how to get OD into our vehicles. One thing I ran into recently was a gear splitter that installs between your transmission and the bell housing. Works like the Gear Vendors OD unit, but was somewhere around $1500 rather than a $3000 conversion. Here's a link for one:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/add-7 ... An318P8HAQ

You can also check out the mfg website at www.advanceadapters.com
STYLN63
United States of America

Post by STYLN63 »

I changed from an FE/C6 combo to a 385 series/T56 combo a few years back. I realize that doesn't help you guys bellhousing/bolt pattern wise (I used a Lakewood Scatter shield) but, I will warn you, there are other things to consider. I ended up using a high dollar slave/throw out from McCleod that has been a pain; it leaks DOT 3 all over the inside of my bellhousing/clutch assembly. I have wasted a brand new Ram dual friction clutch because of the brake fluid contamination. The slave/throwout unit is built to be adjustable to handle the combination of the 60s/70s big block with the 2000s Ford Cobra transmission and seems like a pretty slick (pun intended) set up. McCleod has been incredibly good to work with; they have helped to research and then, change the bearing from a round-face to square-face (needed with diaphragm pressure plate) to match my limited production transmission choice, have rebuilt/resealed the unit at their expense and sent me an additional seal kit free of charge because I called and complained about it leaking once more. They have advised me that once the vehicle is driven regularly, it will likely solve the leakage issue. Trouble is, I am poor and the build has taken some time and the truck will be a Friday commute or weekend driver (with the occasional multi-state tour from time to time) when complete. If I were to do it again, I would use an external slave unit, the original throwout bearing/arm combination and figure out how to make it clear the 3.5" exhaust; additionally, this transmission's standard throwout/release arm sticks out a 7 o'clock position. My truck sat too low and would have required an additional $350-400 adapter plate if I desired a 9 o'clock positioning (another reason I decided to go the internal hydraulic slave route).
Don't get me wrong! The addition of overdrive (5th and 6th in this case) has been priceless (at 545 cid, I don't miss many gas stations)! My point is, there are more factors to consider than: size/length, shifter position, horsepower capabilities, etc. I will tell you, the short cab on the slicks makes using the corvette and viper T56 6spd almost impossible (Mustang Cobra is the only way to go). Lastly, if you are like me...if someone says, "it can't or shouldn't be done", I will kill myself to prove them wrong!! Have fun and let us know what you do to make it happen in your slick.
Gus Engel
STYLN63
63 UNI BIG WNDW
545c.i.d./T56
slickstysix
United States of America

Post by slickstysix »

UPDATE: I spoke with Mike Forte at Fote's Parts Connection here in Mass and he said he's been doing Tremec conversions for 30 years and they make a TKO500 that will bolt up to the stock bell housing, use the stock clutch and cross member. I would need to get the correct slip yoke and shorten the driveshaft. All for under $3000. Still a large bit of dough, but a lot cheaper and straight forward than American Powertrain quoted me for the whole setup for about $5000...
- Power brakes
- DJM drop beams
MeZapU

Post by MeZapU »

I have a Tremec 3550 in mine. I have some info and pictures of how I did it it my build thread. Definitely not a transmission that you are going to find in a recyclers. Not terribly difficult, but there is almost no info on the web about this swap.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=25060&start=100
Black 1985 GT
Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1
Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed, Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, Fitech EFI