Master cylinder swap

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

troymn
United States of America

Master cylinder swap

Post by troymn »

I have a 66 f100 that I'm installing disk brakes on. Will a master off a 68 f250 with factory disk work if I would use 74 calipers? Thanks!
STYLN63
United States of America

Re: Master cylinder swap

Post by STYLN63 »

2 wheel disc or 4 wheel? if 2 wheel, that should be fine. If 4 wheel, you will need to consider a 1 1/8" bore unit with similar size reservoir chambers (disc/drum set ups have one small and one large chamber). You could use a 4 wheel disc corvette style or go the Wilwood route if changing to 4 wheel disc. Just remember, when you plumb a 2 Disc/2 Drum set up, use a 10lb residual valve in the line going back to the drums; the valve will keep pressure against the drums to make them have a similar response time as the disc when pressurized.
Gus Engel
STYLN63
63 UNI BIG WNDW
545c.i.d./T56
troymn
United States of America

Post by troymn »

Thanks STYLN63! It is 2 wheel and I also have a proportioning valve for it also.
Last edited by troymn on December 12, 2014, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
troymn
United States of America

Post by troymn »

With that being said.... Will the brackets for the power steering and alt work from a 351vwork on a later 302( 4 bolt bottom pulley)? I know I need the bottom pulley also. Thanks again!
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

It depends on the 302. If it a serpentine belt setup; not without some modification. The water pump rotation is reversed on the serpentines. Some of the earlier applications will directly interchange with the 351.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
troymn
United States of America

Post by troymn »

Thanks Toyz! It has been changed to the old v belt and the water pumped swapped. It is great having all the knowledge you guys have in one place!