Nightmares

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64 f100

Nightmares

Post by 64 f100 »

As some of you may know, not long ago I managed to ruin two short bed pickups at the same time. I set out to replace my everyday 66 driver and found a good candidate in Iowa, Did a hurry up and went and bought it, but did not do a thorough job of inspecting it before I bought it. Turns out, that tittle does not match the frame numbers. Many other things wrong with the truck which I won't go into, but tittle is the biggest problem at the moment. I contacted the man I bought it from, and he says he should have the correct tittle. He is in bad health and goes under the knife this week and has been unable to look through his papers for the correct tittle. This has been going on for some time, as he has cancer and a heart problem. I only mention this as a warning to not trust to an opinion of someone when buying a truck. I'm out nearly 5k on a truck that needs work and I have no tittle for. Getting a bonded tittle in Illinois is a nightmare. I'm getting the papers to do this, but it is more money out the door, and maybe I get to keep the truck and maybe I don't situation. In the meantime, I went and bought another truck in Kansas, at least I checked the frame number to tittle this time. However, this one needs quite a bit of work to get it up to driving speed. Shifter problems, gas tank problems etc. etc.. Work in progress as usual. It does run though. All of this has made a serious dent in my play money.
Now, I'm having to drive my diesel truck which is also having problems. Although , it isn't terminal yet. Under warrantee, but Ford has been having problems with the pump in the DEF systtem and has no solution for it apparently. Another nightmare, I would just do a delete of the whole system except it would void my warrantee .

Bah humshit,
Rich
banjopicker66

Re: Nightmares

Post by banjopicker66 »

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Rich. Hope things turn out OK with the title issue.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Thanks, Banjo. Sometimes, things just don't go right. Hopefully, some good will come along to offset the bad. I'll get he tittle straightened out one way or the other. I've got a tittle with a frame for a 65,m but what a mess transferring everything over. Other choice is jumping thru Illinois State hoops in the hopes that it will all turn out right. I've got the papers coming for a bonded tittle. Not cert5ain what the bond costs, but will check in the morning. At one time it was 300$ from what I heard. then I have to take pictures get an appraised value on it, get it inspected by a law officer, Hop around on one foot , while playing a Kazoo. At least that's what it feels like.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Hang in there rich. Some bureaucrat in the seventies probably decided that making people stand on one ear while drinking grape Nehi was the right way to get a title registered, i hope you make it thru. Nevertheless, I'm glad we don't have those up here north of the border.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
White97

Post by White97 »

let us know how it works out, I found out last week when ordering new data tag from Marti Reports that someone made the 4th position of the title (engine code) a 'P', not the 'D' is is supposed to be. No such thing as a 'P' engine code for my 65. When the new data tag arrives I'll take it, the original, and the title to AAA and see what nightmare PA and PennDot has in store for me. Their mistake, but I'm the one who will pay dearly.
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
William-in-St George

Post by William-in-St George »

Well you have already mentioned my approach to this issue. Take the 65 frame with clean title and move the sheet metal. Not difficult at all. Then buy a new door tag based on your properly titled frame from Marti reports. If the frame and sheet metal you bought turn out to be owned by someone else it all goes away. If the seller recovers his health and is able to find a title to the frame in question you would have two trucks legally owned and I'd guess some extra sheet metal you could sell to recover some of your investment. Honestly, moving sheet metal around is not a big deal, dealing with the Government and explaining how you wound up with a vehicle and no paperwork is a big deal. Best of luck.
William-in-St. George
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Rich here is what we go through,, ALL Vehicles I have to check door tag, Has to match frame rail and Original Rivots have to be there,,, IF all 3 do not match then its a parts truck or put a bond up and that takes away from such truck especially say is its a Ranger, uni or merc etc... Now we had to register with Fed Govt. and have to log in show who I bought from, title #, vin #, what I am going to do with it, then run the #'s, then have to register with NC and do the same,, All vehicles bought from people have to pay with a check, take a picture ID,, drivers license # entered in the computer and this is to be sure such vehicle is not stolen and then we will get audited once a year,, not doing it is 1000.00 fine and open title 1000.00 per fine,, we just got audited and 1 title I did not put our address, but he watched me do it I signed already but missed that,,, If I buy a vehicle also the check has to be made out to the persons name on title,, This way is going to nationwide, about 30 states are like that now...
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

I'm sure some states are easier than others
But if your in Kansas.....
A vehicle without a title is just about worth scrap
I have bought several parts trucks at scrap prices
I always get bill of sales though.... Just for my protection
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
F7BIGJOB
Location: West Greenwich, Rhode Island & Providence Plantations
United States of America

Post by F7BIGJOB »

Out here [Rhode Island] no title required on anything over 10 years old, but, you have to have a former registration to register your new ride. So pulling a truck from a local boneyard around here, the owner has to be a used car dealer so you can register you vehicle. There are some used dealers for a fee of about $300.00 he will write you a bill of sale so you can obtain plates, the dealership I work at won't allow that.
My 65 was bought new by a cemetary and never registered it or paid sales taxes [they are exempt- otherwise I would have had to pay all back taxes and penalties!] I had to get a notorized statement from the seller stating they were tax exempt and never registered it, one of the people at the registry was a former police officer that I knew well and he got me to dot all my I's and cross my T's to get my plates with little hassle. WE are charged for full book value for sales tax weather or not the vehicle is worth that or not, and after the fact you can appeal it. You can use sold as sealed bid for an absolute below book value figure for sales tax. I can sell this truck to Samdog1966, he'll have to pay sales tax, he could sell it back to me say a year later and I again would have to pay sales tax...........
Sorry so long winded, hope you can get your title situation resolved.
F7BIGJOB
-Steve

1965 F-250 4x4 Flareside

ImageImage
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Just had an interesting online "discussion" with someone who claims to be an Illinois salvage rebuilder, among other things. His basic statement; there has been no "tightening" of regulations regarding salvage vehicles in the United States for decades. He also claims the federal government has taken no interest in vehicle title and registration in any manner, ie., no threatening denial of federal funds, no regulations, etc. I pointed him to Illinois statutes and revisions of same; he denied their existence. I mentioned regulations put in place as an outgrowth of concerns over "flood" vehicles, he again denied their existence.
From what I am reading here, as well as my personal experiences, there has indeed been an effort by the feds to control aspects of vehicle title and registration, and it sounds as if I am correct in that there is a widespread effort among states to do the same.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Paul that Illinois salvage yard is most likely behind on the laws or Illinois is not one of the states required on what we have to do,, in my Favorites on top I have 2 web sites saved so I can go to them easy to register another vehicle, have to log in with passwords etc. And NC every 90 days I have to change our password,, last time I missed it, I had to answer 4 simple ?'s and missed one for 2 days so could not logged in,, I asked 2 of our yards we are hooked up with out west and said they are doing it as well,, had to hire more people to keep up with the :bs: laws...

Now a ? to everyone can you guess what is the #1 item being stolen out of salvage yards right now ????
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

SRSControls
United States of America

Post by SRSControls »

Would that be fuses and relays?

Don't ask me how I know.... :shock:

"If you didn't pay to buy the parts, sweat and shed your own blood to build it, pay to register it, and pay to insure it, your opinion of it is of no matter to me."

"This is the Hotrod section....we drive our trucks. The trailer queens are over there!"

64 F-100 Short Bed (Under Construction)
Industrial Chassis Dakota crossmember kit #16
Industrial Chassis Brake Pedal Kit
"Top Secret" drive train
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

That would be so since most vehicles they are gone, But not,, This particular item is small, when stolen is illegal to do, when caught can get you jail time,, no it's not cat convertors.. of course they have caught some with false bottoms in there wagons, woman's purses/hand bags, that is why some say all will be search at yards,, this item might be hard to come up with on a answer,,,

I know many years ago we had them stealing something else that we caught and destroyed a item to get to it :?: , any :idea:
one other note, several salvage yards, pick yards in the Las Vegas area had to pay 50,000 yes 50,000 each to lobby in Carson City and imagine others in the Reno area had to get this law once it was changed more money was spent to let it become in become a law, ,ALL to prevent this theft going any further and besides the salvage yards have to hire extra people, this is one reason why some yards are higher price and raising prices
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

Tom - would that part be air bags? As inside the steering wheel and the passenger side dash?
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

John good answer but not it,,, lets say it's very small can fit in your shirt pocket or pants pocket and this item was located over the years in 2 different places in early years one place then they decided to move it to another location to make it easier to :dontknow: :hm:
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

And then later moved it to a third location to make it --------!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Vin plate
Phil
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

1965fordf100 wrote:Vin plate

That was my second choice.
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

banjopicker66 wrote:
1965fordf100 wrote:Vin plate

That was my second choice.

I thought that too....
But what good is it without a title ?....

GPS ?
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

That's right,, the VIN Plate off doors and dashes for several years was big in Nevada, Calif. AZ,, The people would go into salvage yards steal them, then apply for lost title and then send them to a address that was a front so they could switch it on stolen vehicles, new vehicles or ones with loans and switch the numbers.. Finally our connection in Las Vegas told us they where getting close to catching them when law enforcement in Calif. called and was looking back taxes on a vehicle at his yard, it was reported this vehicle was crushed, that's when the shxx hit the fan at the yard.. that's why it cost a lot of these yards 50,000 each to lobby in Carson City had the law to be changed on Vin Tags and titles,,, Now all titles on those vehicles go to a person all his job is to a search of vehicle to see its history, then destroy the title then go on line to show Vin # was destroyed so its gone forever ,,, I do know some yards I go to if I get a door the security guard removes the Vin # plate off the door before I walk out the gate,, just imagine how many other yards in the US was done like this, that's why when we sell a truck I personally inspect it before I buy it or sell it to somebody and try to warn people about the latest scams like the Calif. Black/yellow Tags,, On Vin# theft cannot say on some details I had to leave out

Now for the 2nd part,, several years ago where I ran a Ford Salvage yard, I caught several people busting windshields so then can get the inspection stickers here in NC, take it home and with a heat gun could remove the sticker this got real bad when NC went to pollution inspections in certain counties
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS