Junk yard idiots

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64 f100

Junk yard idiots

Post by 64 f100 »

I recently bought a 65 short bed in Kansas. Got it home and decided to fix the wring problems, as it had been rewired by a P/O in the past. Installed on the truck was a stereo , alarm system. Tekonsha brake controller, and an aftermarket ignition switch. Also, found wiring to the distributer home made, and several burnt wires from overload. One going to the brake controller, and the ones going to the starter solenoid and coil. The wires that went to the original ignition switch had been cut and spliced and the switch was hanging under the dash. Believe it or not, the truck actually ran this way. After looking through all my extra wiring, I found a dash set that was decent, but unable to find the harness to the solenoid and coil, I decided to go to my local parts source, a junkyard. It was 7 degrees outside and on top of that it was windy. Miserable day for walking a junk yard. I found two trucks with the right harness or what had been the right harness. but someone had cut the wires in removing the motor or whatever. Only the 65/6 pickup harness will do, bigger trucks were not the same. Finally gave up and today will be the day I repair the one I have. I can't say how many junk yards I've been in and how many trucks I've looked at over the years where instead of taking the wires loose before removing the motors, they just cut the wiring. I save every piece of wiring I take off these trucks whether it is good or bad, never know when you are going to need that piece. From now on, if I find good wiring from the firewall out, it's coming home with me.

Rich
bruceandersson

Re: Junk yard idiots

Post by bruceandersson »

There is probably a reason why yard mechanics are not working on car repairs, just part removal. Keep in mind that the original wire to the coil was a resister wire. I have a fairly large box of wiring parts from any of the trucks I've pulled parts from. I recently rebuilt the harness for my 65. Its really hard to find one that has not been boogered by someone in the past. I had a decent harness but still had to replace the fuse box from another due to corrosion.
Country

Post by Country »

The worst I ever came across was a the torch monkey. :cussing: Some guy had cut yes cut and I mean cut the whole front end off of a truck to get to a core support. Cut through perfect inner/outer fenders wires everything that was in his way.
The second worst was the torch monkey that cut a perfect steering column in half to acquire a steering wheel.
And in 3rd place was a yard owner that had three perfect hoods just laying on the ground. I stacked them up against a truck and said I would be back to pick them up. Two days later I arrived with my truck and yeah you guessed it. The hoods and two of the trucks were gone...........crushed.
So thats why I feel these old trucks are starting to see a slow climb in value in certain parts of the country.
1966 Ford F100 Custom Cab - 240 Frame off restoration completed.
1966 Ford F100 Custom Cab - 352 Semi daily driver gallery/image.php?mode=medium&album_id=285&image_id=10139
1966 Ford F100 Short Bed project
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

I have said it in the past,, these a$$holes do not care about anything but themselves and what they destroy,, we have seen fenders cut in half,, 61-72 core supports cut in half to get the engine out,, 67-72 hoods ripped open so the can get a wrench in there to take the hood emblems off instead of getting a long extension and socket doors ripped apart not including wires cut,, that's why at our yard I pull it or YOU DON"T GET IT.. it seems in Calif. and Nevada is the worst place for destruction when it comes to core supports and hoods, maybe because most of them are pull yards,, I will cut a roof only if the rest is bad,, I saw last trip where a frame cut in half under the cab for a section of frame
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
Truckfarmer2

Post by Truckfarmer2 »

Rich, did you ever get a harness?
If you continue to buy imports, where will your children work?