1/12/15-A bad day.....

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Mr. Jones

1/12/15-A bad day.....

Post by Mr. Jones »

For forty-nine years my truck avoided everything on the road,not a single dent...ever!!!! Yesterday I ran into Sears to get a 1/2"breaker bar,parked around back in the 15min. spot,right next to a square concrete pillar.And then this,
I'm totally bummed out,it just sucks!!!!!
Dan
All the dirt is from a recent trip to the landfill..
64 f100

Re: 1/12/15-A bad day.....

Post by 64 f100 »

Got to watch those concrete pillars , once in awhile they will jump out and get you. Nasty little dent but nothing either life threatening nor unfixable. If, this is the worst thing to happen to your truck, don't beat yourself over the head about it. Doesn't do any good . Quit worrying over it and fix it. Not long ago I destroyed two short beds at the same time. Now that hurt.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

Rich,
Went out to Eudora,Ks.this morning and picked up a fixable fender from SlickCollector.No hard crease'es just a little pounding and twisting.It'll do till a really good one comes along,life just keeps rolling onward I'm over all that bummed out crap....
Thanks,
Dan
Country

Post by Country »

You have a really cool truck dent or no dent. I know your bummed out about the fender but you know its awesome that you drive and use this truck like it was meant to be used. I dont have a good spare fender at this time but I will keep my eye out for a good strait fender. I live down in Northwest Arkansas and K.C. is bout a 2.5 to 3 hour drive. If I find a good one will PM you.
I do know were a few slick part trucks our but you kinda have to catch the owners on a "giving" day and hope they are willing to sell.
Hope all works out for you.
1966 Ford F100 Custom Cab - 240 Frame off restoration completed.
1966 Ford F100 Custom Cab - 352 Semi daily driver gallery/image.php?mode=medium&album_id=285&image_id=10139
1966 Ford F100 Short Bed project
longcabjohn
United States of America

Post by longcabjohn »

Why would you change that fender? Couple of hours and it could be ready for paint. If you were close I would come out of retirement just for fun.

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

That sucks about hitting that pillar. But like country said, even with the dent, that's one cool lookin truck.

Not really related, but what size tires are you running?
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Dan, I agree that fender is fixable without taking it off. Real metal there. May take a little heat on the creased part to get it to pull back out, then some hammer and dolly work . Wouldn't take that fender off to fix it. A judicious use of wooden blocks a hydraulic jack used to maintain a little pressure and the use of a shrinking paddle . One thing I do say, get some paint on that bare metal before it starts to rust. Rattle can it. As to taking that fender off to replace it, it's less work to fix. Does require a good eye and a few skills , and don't get carried away with the hydraulic jack. If your good enough and patient enough, you may not even have to put filler in it when you get it straight. Most likely with the crease, you will need some filler but should not be more than a golf ball amount when you get done.
We have all had that new car experience of the first scratch or dent pain. Won't go into how I feel about people parking next to me in parking lots, I will say I try and park where no one else will, and will take up two parking spaces when I think it's called for. Even that doesn't work with a new car. Had my first new car in 76, parked at a mall with about 100 empty parking spaces between me and the door, came out an hour later with someone parked right next to me and a brand new door pop, and still a hundred parking places between my car and the mall door. Left a nice note for the idiot, saying basically that I had their plate number and can find them any time to thank them for the door pop on my new car, and that payback was a M/F. I did not want to talk to the person, and never have nor done anything about it. 40 years later it still disturbs me. Now, I am of the opinion, that if you buy a new vehicle, might be best to go put a scratch on it before you leave the lot. My wife on the other hand doesn't normally even notice when her car has been scratched or dented. I think I have gotten her to pay a little more attention these days. It takes some training sometimes. I installed curb feelers on the 75 Olds convertible because she was scuffing the white walls when parking. Once you've heard the sound of those curb feelers scraping the sidewalk you pay more attention. Sounds like you've torn off a fender.

Rich
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

Thinlizzy,
The tires are 235/85R16's.I think you guys are right about fixing in place vs. removing/replacing..save a lot busted knuckles.Any body shop guys care to advise I'm all ears,tools I have are oxy/ace,a bunch of dollies and few body hammers.Never attempted something this befor,could be an interesting job.....
Thanks to all,
Dan
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

That's A Great Looking Truck Dan. What A Bummer! I Bet You Were Screaming Obscenities, I Know I Would Have Been. :cry: Good News Is That Dent Could Be Pulled Out Pretty Easy With The Right Equipment............
Mercules

Post by Mercules »

I have been told that scars are just tatoos with a better story. so dents are just body mods with a better story. I have a few stories I could tell.
1965 Mercury Crewcab "MERCULES"
http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad68 ... 5/1965.jpg
1970 Mustang Convertible
http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad68 ... ustang.jpg
1970 Mustang GRABBER Sportsroof
1984 Mustang TURBO GT convertible
Speedjester

Post by Speedjester »

I know it hurts... But should be an easy fix..
1966 F100 ,2wd , 4spd
shortwide

Post by shortwide »

That does suck...especially on a straight original old girl like that.

I've been pulling my hair out over this topic lately though. About a year ago, I bought my daughter a 2002 F150 to drive back and forth to college in. Totally straight, clean, low mileage (72,000) truck.

After a year of sitting in college parking lots, the thing has 4 pretty decent parking lot dents in it.

Frustrating.
Don

'66 Styleside Shortbed, I6, Original Paint Survivor
'54 Ford Mainline Tudor, 302/AOD, disc brakes

'54 Ford Club of America
http://www.1954Ford.com
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

2002 Doesn't have the metal to work with like these old trucks

Rich.
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
624WD

Post by 624WD »

About a month ago we had a snow and rain event that caused my two portable garages to collapse, crushing my 1941 front fenders under a ton or more of frozen mush-ice-snowcrete.

They are ruined and our homeowners insurance wont pay for them.

That hurt.

Tom