300/240 won't run.part-II

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Mr. Jones

300/240 won't run.part-II

Post by Mr. Jones »

First post was 12/29/14...went out yesterday pulled the dist.the drive gear is locked in place,checked points,clean not burnt gaped at.025..put it back together,primed the carb.Hit the remote starter,fired up first crank ran like a bat outta hell,while I tried to turn the dist,didn't actually move it.it just started to die.So the problem is not elec.gotta be fuel,floats work,needle valve works,fuel pump works.It seems to be starving for gas.My question for everyone is:Who's running a Holly 1940 and does it work well for you.What might be wrong internally to restrict the flow.and what is an alternate carb that works well with these engines,I'm not looking to go fast,just get there and back..
Thanks to all
Dan
unibody madness
United States of America

Re: 300/240 won't run.part-II

Post by unibody madness »

Could be several things I have recently come across.
disconnect your fuel line at the carb, crank the motor while checking flow into a container. Helps to have another set of hands.
Check the fuel screen behind the brass fitting inside the carb, or fuel filter before the carb.
Your pick up tube may possibly be rusted through at the fuel level sucking air.
John
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!