Winch Wiring and Alternator

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Liberty

Winch Wiring and Alternator

Post by Liberty »

Greetings,

I am trying to figure out the possibility of placing a 9500 TS Superwinch winch on my 1965 F100, 352, 2WD, Custom Cab PU. My issue is amperage for the winch. The winch manufacturer recommends a minimum alternator of 60 AMPS. Although I have not measured the AMPS from the stock alternator yet, I believe it to be less (probably 38 or 45) based on Fords specs. What is involved with installing a higher AMP alternator? What other compatible electrical parts would be affected?

Thanks,
Liberty
65 Ford F100 Style side 8' bed 352 V8 4Spd Granny Gears

Liberty
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: Winch Wiring and Alternator

Post by slick4x4 »

That's a recommendation ... Not a requirement
If you are using your winch continually, the alternator won't keep up
But I doubt you will notice anything if your just using it for a one time pull
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Ive gone on and on about this in other threads so I won't again here, but its the idle amperage thats important with these old girls.
slick4x4 has hit the nail on the head, occasional use is no big deal, but to pull something with the stock alt will probably drain the battery. No big deal if you have a drive ahead of you but if you switch the slick off soon after the big drain, you run the risk of a dead battery.

I've fitted 130amp motorcraft alt's to all my vintage fords. Not because I have that much power to drain but they give around 60ish amps at idle. I'm gen X so I have a 'stereo' :lol: and halogen headlights. So with those both on and the heater going theres no power drain. The mustang with the stock 60 amp alt can't cope with the headlights, A/c and indicators.

If you need help with an alt upgrade let me know, there is a bit on here too!
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I would highly recommend updating the alternator for the reasons mentioned. Admittedly, light use with a good battery is probably no problem, but I expect you are buying it to use, and they tend to last longer when ran with full voltage. As Leeroy stated, it's an easy upgrade.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Good advice. Two questions. If I upgrade the alternator to say the 130 amp output, will any other parts in the electrical system have to be changed? And, is there a specific make and model alternator recommended (Motorcraft)? Thank you!

Liberty
deadheadno1

Post by deadheadno1 »

The secret to an electric wench is the battery. Buy the highest amperage battery that will fit in your battery box.
Tom :mrgreen: :2cents: secret.gif :cheers:
"Make him a "deal" deal, maybe the guy's a republican!"
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Check Hemmings.com Ford alternator upgrades for some good info. The motorcraft 3g alternator is available in 130 amp, is internally regulated, and has a good cooling system. It fits in place of the original 1g and is basically a matter of bring the existing regulator wires to the new alternator as well as adding a heavier gauge output wire from alternator to starter relay battery lug.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Thank you all. I will let you know what I do. I May have to wait on a little better weather in MD!!!

Liberty
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

There are some other minor changes, if you have an existing amp gauge you basically have to say goodbye to it, as the vintage types are usually 60amp. So pouring 130amps at it whilst jump starting your buddies car will usually end up with a smile on his face as you rescue him, and tears on your face as the amp meter and your dash go up in flames! :lol: no issues if you don't have one and either uncle skip or iceman provided a link to a newer much higher current type if you want one.

The only other mod I did was put a large wafer/ ANL type fuse between the alt and the solenoid post where the alternator wire goes. It's as easy as falling off a log when you have all the bits there. I can give you any pics you need from my mustang setup, it's the same for the slick. I highly recommend this!

2 choices you'll come across with this upgrade, 1wire or 3 wire. I prefer 3 wire as it keeps the stock alt light working on your dash (and alerts u if it stops working!) but if you go the other way it works fine just no dash light. Other thing is the position of the regulator, it can be in several spots. It will depend on which engine you have and where the alternator is located as to which side youll want it on. The Mustangs alt is on the lower passenger side so the reg is on the lower outer. My slick is a Cleveland and alternator is the Lower driver side so regulator is opposite to the mustang. I found mine weren't interchageable as the nut that supplies the current fowls on the block and would short instantly.

Happy to take pics of whatever you need if you go through with it!
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

To expand a little on Leeroy's right-on statements; i certainly agree on the three wire, especially with high amp accessories. Sensing at or near the battery gives the regulator better "information", IMO. An internally regulated alternator may require lenthening the regulator wires, but makes a clean installation.
Although the ammeter is sometimes useful, I would strongly recommend an additional voltmeter to give you a better idea of loads.
We're getting to the information overload point, but there are definite advantages to upgrading the entire system while doing the winch installation. The suggestions given have served me well on transfer wrecker applications; it might be overkill for occassional usage, but I prefer overkill to "roadkill"!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Thank you Leeroy and Toyz, I just have the dash Alt light, no meter. I will take a look at the three wire. I was leaning toward the one wire because I figured it was easier. So this conversation is good. I understand the old regulator will not be needed because it is now contained on the inside of the new alternator, so why is the position of it important? Is it because of the use of the wiring. Also, if you have any pictures it is appreciated. One last question, on the fuse, what size fuse is appropriate for a 100 ALT Alternator, I would assume less than a 100 Amps? Thanks again!

Liberty
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Be careful what you install, Some of the aftermarket one wire alternators are just plain junk. If your pulling a lot of amps then you need as large a battery as you can find as was suggested by someone else.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
deadheadno1

Post by deadheadno1 »

I will add something to what I said earlier. I have a '77 LWB Supercab /460/C6 work truck' bought it nearly 30 years ago. About 20 years ago I installed a Warn 8000 winch in the bed. I also installed a 900 CC amp stud mount battery, the same size I ran in my Kenworth and a new o/2 cable between it and the winch controller. I left the 65 amp stock alternator alone. Except for replacing the battery a couple of times over the years the setup has been trouble free and I have worked it pretty hard at times.
Tom :mrgreen: :2cents: :cheers:
"Make him a "deal" deal, maybe the guy's a republican!"
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I think Leeroy was describing a setup with external regulator. As far as Rich's statement; I will go a little further; again this is just my opinion, but based on actual experiences. The "one-wire" alternator is a flawed concept for all but farm or industrial equipment! That doesn't mean a good one won't be adequate; it just means it does not have the inherent sensing capacities of the three wire. Another favorite remark from Ol' Paul; if the one-wire is such a great idea, why do the penny-pinching auto manufacturers adopt them across the board rather then researching and developing even more complicated charging systems than the simple internal regulated, remote sensed system which was the industry standard.
As too a battery, yeah, the bigger the better! Again, there is a reason the winch manufacturers suggest or require a larger alternator. And, yes, a 65 amp alternator is adequate according to most manufacturers; however, a well regulated 100/130 amp is not considerably more expensive, so what the H--?
I personally would NOT use a fused system, but rather rely on a circuit breaker of 100 amp rating. IMO, that beats searching for a high amp replacement fuse somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Another longevity suggestion is to mount that high-amp rating battery as an auxiliary very near the winch, reducing voltage drop, and allowing for a 2-4 gauge cable from the charging system. My wreckers ran 12,000 lb. rating Warn and Pearce Sales winches with batteries mounted as mentioned, and were extremely dependable. My low-boy car hauler has a 9,000 lb. rated Warn with battery mounted in an adjacent tongue box; it is charged via the factory trailer wiring harness, and the 1000 CCA lead acid battery stays at a workable charge level even with the considerable stack-up of potential voltage drops from the charging system through the harnesses and on to the trailer wiring. The caveat on this setup is the possibility of back feeding a circuit from the trailer battery and damaging the factory 12 gauge wire in the trailering package.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Great advice! Thank you all.

Liberty
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Sorry I wasn't very clear, the alternator IS internally regulated but the power output wire comes out of different spots on the regulators depending on models. So you'll need to check dependng on you engine before you buy.

These are both motorcraft 130 amp, looking behind as if they were mounted. The one on the right was fitted to a 289w, the dirty red post on the bottom left is the output wire. The alt on the left is for my 351c slick, you can see the output wire is up top left and fouled the head when I tried to fit it to the 289. Just a 'heads up' :lol:

Toyz is spot on with a circuit breaker, I can't get a CB with an amp rating that high here, so fuse is it. But whatever you do, put SOMETHING to break the current should the unthinkable happen.

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Originally, it was somtimes up to the installer to "reclock"as needed. I suspect the rebuilders no longer suggest that procedure, so Leeroy's right. A check of clearances certainly could save a return trip to the parts house.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Thank you all! Liberty

Liberty