Heater options in 66

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

66camperspecial
United States of America

Heater options in 66

Post by 66camperspecial »

Looking on autozones website for a heater control valve for my 66 and two showed up,a cable operated one like mine has and a manual shut off valve. I think it said one was a deluxe fresh air heater and the other a standard fresh air heater so it looks like mine is the deluxe but it seems primitive compared to the 70s and newer trucks,I noticed on the heater box at the heat vent and on the box its lettered defrost and on and off so is the standard heater even more primitive then what I have and had a manually operated lever there for defrost..
bruceandersson

Re: Heater options in 66

Post by bruceandersson »

Yes the heaters are pretty primitive. The standard heater has a level on the box by the trans hump that you move to direct the heat up or down. They (like our modern cars) always have heat in the core. The deluxe heater provided a cable for defrost and the cable operated shutoff valve. The only real advantage of the deluxe heater was that you can prevent the heat from being in the cab to start with in the warmer weather. They also came with the primitive A/C called vent windows, that I have missed on most newer cars from around '80 on. Other than when stopped at a light, there is plenty of air to keep you comfortable.
66camperspecial
United States of America

I presume the standard heater was a option too and I improved the primitive a/c by adding a rear sliding window,under dash a/c will be coming soon.A local junkyard has a few and going to see if any have the standard heater.
yellodog
United States of America

Post by yellodog »

where did you get your rear slider? could you post a picture?
66camperspecial
United States of America

I got it from LMC and was told it looks very close to one for a newer ranger and if that is the case probably could have gotten it locally,it was not priced too bad but the shipping was terrible and had a oversize charge. They shipped it in a box that was 4 times larger then the actual box the slider came in,if they would have slapped a address label on the original box it would have been much cheaper to ship and I think a windshield could have been put in that box.