Tire Jack and Handle Stowing Location

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shortwide

Tire Jack and Handle Stowing Location

Post by shortwide »

I have the factory original jack and handle for my 66 Styleside, but haven't any idea where it's supposed to mount.

Anyone know?
Don

'66 Styleside Shortbed, I6, Original Paint Survivor
'54 Ford Mainline Tudor, 302/AOD, disc brakes

'54 Ford Club of America
http://www.1954Ford.com
born4ford
United States of America

Re: Tire Jack and Handle Stowing Location

Post by born4ford »

I believe it is on the inner wheel well on the drivers side. At least that is where the one I have was when I removed it from a '66 at the junkyard.

Julie
shortwide

Post by shortwide »

born4ford wrote:I believe it is on the inner wheel well on the drivers side. At least that is where the one I have was when I removed it from a '66 at the junkyard.

Julie

Do you mean....the wheel well in the engine bay?
Don

'54 Ford Club of America
Lowell
United States of America

Post by Lowell »

I believe they were just tossed under the seat until 1967 and then they were mounted on the inner fender on the drivers side.
shortwide

Post by shortwide »

Lowell wrote:I believe they were just tossed under the seat until 1967 and then they were mounted on the inner fender on the drivers side.

That's what I'm starting to suspect.

Maybe I'll scavange a setup from a 67 and use in my 66.

I hate having the jack loose under the seat.
Don

'54 Ford Club of America
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

You might want to find out if the 61/66 Trucks came with Jack/Handles/Lug Wrench since I do know on the older trucks a Jack was a option that you look at a Ford Book showing Jacks for a price,,, BUT I do know for a fact that the bigger trucks on 61/69 when my parents bought these trucks they had to buy a jack/lug wrench for those trucks which was a a hyd. jack,, 67-72 trucks have the jack on d/s inner fender with jack handle and lug wrench with 2 studs on the floor with a wing nut and flat bracket holding the handle with a small clip with a small screw going to the floor to hold the lug wrench and I have never seen 2 studs sticking up on the floor board to hold any of those parts on 61/66 trucks
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
shortwide

Post by shortwide »

The jack/handle setup I have is the old-school ratcheting bumper jack....and it's in the same condition as the rest of my 66...very original, wearing original paint, nicely preserved.

I had it in the bed of my truck at an old car gathering last year and a guy who professed to be an F100 guru went nuts over it and its condition. He kept saying that having a factory jack that was stamped with "Ford" for a Slick was like spotting a unicorn.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything though....the guy could've been clueless.

However, up to that point, I'd always thought it was just an old bumper jack someone had tossed under the seat. But this dude going nuts about it got me questioning if maybe there was a smidgen of truth to what he was saying.

After researching it, however, I can't find much about the pre-67 F100's and jacks.

If it is just an nice old bumper jack...well, that's sort of cool, I guess (I'm not a fan of bumper jacks....they're dangerous as hell and they always seem to tweak the bumper alignment when you use them). But if it is some sort of uber-rare unicorn-like thing in mint condition, then I'd like to find a way to mount it in the truck...or at least keep it with the truck.

And then....get a bottle jack in-case I ever have a flat! :lol:
Don

'54 Ford Club of America
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

I can not say 100% on the Bumper Jack since I would not believe Ford would have one for many reasons, 1 will only work on front unless you have the rear bumper that matches the front,, 2 Rear Bumpers where a option so at the Factory not many trucks came through like that and dealers added their own types of step bumpers in which I doubted they would even work with a bumper jack safely, what I have seen on the older trucks where a hyd. jack that you can purchase
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I have a crank style bottle and clamp, but do not know where to mount it on my uni. I would love to see a picture of one mounted on the inner fender.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
grump

Post by grump »

When I bought my 66 the jack was in a long canvas bag with the zipper full length of the bag. I assumed it was factory because it looked like it had been there for a while. That was maybe 15 years ago. Has anyone else seen one of these bags with the jack in it?
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

I also have the crank style "bottle" jack with handle for my truck that came with it. but no clue where it shold fit. I also think the jack was to mount on the inner fender.. the handle behind the seat back. Jacks and handle are easily lost or not reinstalled back after the first flat on many old cars that I have seen. Just try pricing an original jack with proper #'s for most classic cars.