1964 Ranger?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Mellvis

1964 Ranger?

Post by Mellvis »

I think I may have stumbled across a 1964 Ranger. I need some guidance and advice. The truck is incomplete. No fenders, no inner fenders, no engine and trans. It is a Georgia truck and looks like it from the pictures due to all of the cab being there, while mine is rotted away in most of the lower areas. My questions are, and I know there are many variables when answering these questions:

1. Was there ever any short bed Rangers?
2. Aside from the body code (which I can't recall what it is) and seats, and console and gas tank cover, are there any ways to confirm that it is a Ranger?
3. What would be a good value for this truck as is and when complete in un-restored condition?
4. What engine/trans combination would have been found in such a truck?

The truck is about 30 miles from me. I could afford to get it, as long as you can point me to a GOOD divorce lawyer
1965 F100 "Papaw's Pride"

"So I'm working on a cistern inlet valve and the guy hands me a lock nut wrench! I was like 'What is this, a drainpipe slipknot!'" -Flo
thenephilm
United States of America

Re: 1964 Ranger?

Post by thenephilm »

If you don't buy it, I probably will lol as I live in Cincinnati, Ohio if it is a ranger. Your best bet would be to post some pictures as far as value because for most people, a ranger doesn't mean anything, especially if it is incomplete. Does the truck have a title? The engine and and trans varied. My dad's is a 66 and it originally came with a 240 inline six. Does it have the custom cab package? What was the original color? I believe they did make a short bed ranger.
Hi I'm Justin.
Mellvis

Post by Mellvis »

The cab looks like it was red from the factory, but mostly primer now. Does NOT have actual title, but it has everything needed to title it in Ohio (been there, done that with a few motorcycles. This is all of the information I have at this time. I'm waiting to talk to the owner.

"So I'm working on a cistern inlet valve and the guy hands me a lock nut wrench! I was like 'What is this, a drainpipe slipknot!'" -Flo
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Not a "Ranger" but possibly a "Sport Package". The trim code may be of some help; I don't remember the different color codes off the top of my head. It would not originally have had Mustang style seats, but Bostroms as found in some Thunderbolts. All that have been identified with consoles had the second generation Comet style console, if any at all.
Graybeard is one of our resident 'sperts on these rare vehicles; i can decode the trim and provide seat pics. The interior is basically the same as that found on the earlier F100XL, and an assortment of interior pics are available at the F100xl website.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

There were in fact shortbeds; they probably represent the highest valuations just as with the Rangers. Several of us can usually authenticate them by small nuances, although Ford was good at throwing some strange vehicle out to "Home Office Reserve" and other skunk works DSO's. I have no knowledge of any not being Custom Cabs, and I would expect that to be the base package upon which the SP's were built. Hopefully Graybeard will weigh in on his lifetime of research on these vehicles!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Mellvis

Post by Mellvis »

Thanks Toyz. I will give more information as it becomes available to me.

bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

I have some old photos of a junk one I found. BUT from what I hear 64's were never titled or badged as RANGER. Primarily they just had the console and buckets like mentioned earlier. The VIN should clarify it as a speacil order. Seems like Graybeard told me they all came out of the TX factory? memory is fuzzy on that part.
makes me cringe everytime I see how this truck was left to rot.
Casey 65
United States of America

Post by Casey 65 »

Ditcher, Quick & Hyde are the best divorce lawyers around. :lol:
"One Test Result is Worth One Thousand Expert Opinions" - Werner von Braun
Mellvis

Post by Mellvis »

Thanks Casey!

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Don't believe we have verified any from the Dallas plant; although I vaguely remember the first brand new one I ever got close to having a "Built in Texas by Texans" rear window sticker. The VIN offers little clue; even the trim code on the '64's can be misleading. Since the package was a production option, it would not necessarily have a DSO, but most of the ones identified seem to have such, although that could represent other special order items. We seem to learn more about them regularily; there were certainly more produced than we orginally speculated.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

If it hasn't been messed with the build sheet may still be under one of the seats. This would definitely be worth getting.