Which axle bushing set

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Aubrey3
United States of America

Which axle bushing set

Post by Aubrey3 »

I'm looking up bushing sets for the Axle Pivot Bushings and the Radius Arm Bushings. For the Axle Pivot Bushings I've found either a rubber one which I guess is more like stock but are a pita to put in. I've also found a urethane one which seem to be a little easier. The confusing part is with the Radius Arm Bushings. I've found sets with just two rubber pucks, two rubber pucks and washers, two rubber pucks washers and plastic spacers. I see very different prices for what seems to be the same things or sets with more or less parts.

What's the deal with these plastic spacers?
There's a set with plastic spacers with pucks that look the same as all others and there's a set with pucks that have a cone shape. Is there a difference other than the extra $20 for cone shaped?

The range in price I've found from $18 to $45 a set. A little confused on which one at the moment.
thanks
1966 F250 2wd V8 Auto Camper Special Custom Cab
William-in-St George

Re: Which axle bushing set

Post by William-in-St George »

Some aftermarket Axle pivot bushings require you to reuse the outer shell from stock. This is difficult because the shells are usually destroyed during removal. Aftermarket urethane bushings often require a press to install them in the axle. A vice can work for this job as will simple C-clamps. I would suggest you use the stock replacements available anywhere. As for the radius arm bushings stock or the urethane replacements will work well and are easily installed. While you have all this removed from your truck I'd install a new set of king pins and bushings. Your local machine shop can press out the old pivot bushings and install new ones, they will also press out the old king pins, install new and ream to fit. You get to paint and install completely re-furbished I Beams. This approach is how I tackle this project. BTDT!
William-in-St. George
Aubrey3
United States of America

Post by Aubrey3 »

Which radius arm bushings as I've found different parts in various packs?
Do you need concentrics on the radius arm frame mount (in stock or dropped form)?
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

The Ford factory setup for 2WD trucks '65 - '79 was 2 rubber bushings per side. Each side also had a large "washer" to fit under the retaining nut and properly compress the bushings.
Anything else must be parts for multiple applications, and aren't needed as far as I can tell.

Hope this helps!
CraigM

Post by CraigM »

When I replaced my radius arm bushings I ordered some Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings from NPD for about $18. Had to reuse the original washers.
shocker998md

Post by shocker998md »

I used energy suspension for both about a month ago. Easy peasy to do. I think Amazon had the best pricing.
Aubrey3
United States of America

Post by Aubrey3 »

$16.17 http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/pr ... rod=4.7107
$18.60 http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/pr ... 119-Non-HD
Although I'm not sure if I have an HD or not. The original invoice says 2400 rear springs and I believe the VIN shows it as GVW 7,500.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Pay close attention the way the bell shaped washer go. I always thought the idea was to hold the bushing in place with the cup over the bushing. I seem to remember finding instructions that say the beel goes the opposite form the bushing. Not certain if this is correct as it has been awhile since I've done a set, but something to check and think about. As to which bushing to use, The ones with the plastic separate piece are mostly for the 80 and up from What I've seen, although I have seen these advertised to fit our trucks. Just remmember it is just a rubber bushing to stop front and back movement of the axle, without banging. One other thing to look for and when You take these out, is rust on the shat part of the strut rod where the bushing rides. I have seen these be so bad I did not truck to use. I've also noticed some of the polyurethane one with an insert for this area, something to think about.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus