Aftermarket Motor Mounts

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

falcain

Aftermarket Motor Mounts

Post by falcain »

I bought a set of Trans Dapt 302 motor mounts and a C4 trans cross member for my 64. I'm looking for help determining the correct location to install the mounts and cross
member on the frame.

If anyone has used these and could provide some measurements on where they installed them, please let me know

"Put your seat-belt on, I wanna try something"
spstack

Re: Aftermarket Motor Mounts

Post by spstack »

I have a 289 in my 63 and I used tube style mounts its like a cross bar with flanges on the end much easier to use speedway has them Also stiffens up the frame .just get the correct drop for the trans .
1234 sps
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

JUST set the engine in as close as you want to the firewall,, BUT Personally I would have bought the tube mounts since it will replace any cross members you might have to take and those mounts don't look heavy enough to keep the motor up for a long period of time
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Those are the least desirable mounts made. They tend to bend fairly easily.

I, personally don't like the tube crossmember style but a lot of people use them just fine. I just don't like the added crossmember to deal with for exhaust and starter clearance, etc. They tend to make things look "busy" and I shy away from them.

I recommend this style mount:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Ford-Weld ... ,1376.html

You have to box a portion of the frame rail for the mount to weld to and they usually need extended an inch or so but I always do that on the driver side to offset the engine to the passenger side.

For placement, I prefer as far back as possible, carb pad of the intake sitting level and as high as possible. Leave a couple inches between the floor pan and the tranny and keep it off the firewall so nothing vibrates the cab. Sit your tranny mount on the frame rail flange, level the carb mounting flange and se how it looks.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
pikupmn
United States of America

Post by pikupmn »

What Steve said :) i used the motor mounts you are talking about when i 1st put my 64 together they ARE strong enuf to hold up a small block...no prob. had to 86 em when i put in the dakota front end the 1's Steve was talking about are a MUCH cleaner look and fairly easy to install with a little tweaking of the original part. Jeff
it's never too late to have a happy childhood

1966 Long Box 5/8 ton wha.gif
2012 F150 XLT Super Crew 3.5 TWIN TURBO ......yee haw
2000 Road King
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

Here's a nice article on making your own engine & trans mounts. It's long with some good pictures.

http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/cus ... ounts.html
Tom Williams