1964 m100/f100 bell housing cross member removal

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

wwhite

1964 m100/f100 bell housing cross member removal

Post by wwhite »

A long time ago I dropped a 460 into my 64, which previously had a 302.
I slightly modified the 302 engine crossmember, widened it, for the 460.
Suprisingly, no other modifications were done other than swapped the trans crossmember, used one from a thunderbird, which bolted up where previous c4 crossmember was.

Ok, enough background info, now for the problem.
I have installed or going to install a 8 inch power brake booster, but it hits the 460 valve cover. The engine is centred in the frame, and sits just a tad too high.
Upon further inspection, it appears that the tranny pan is about a sixteenth above the original bell housing crossmember, or is actually resting on it.

So, my question is, can I safely remove the original bell housing cross member, or is it recommended to keep it in place?
1964 Mercury short box 460 innies
jkimbrel65
United States of America

Re: 1964 m100/f100 bell housing cross member removal

Post by jkimbrel65 »

I took the one out of my uni years ago no issues

Mike
I tried being normal once...
was the worst 10 minutes of my life
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

These truck frames are riveted together with some welding here and there. What I would suggest is to remove it but make as bolt in to replace it. That cross member goes between the end of your front springs , if you still have the old front end under the truck. I don't think it has to be nearly as heavy as the original as it was made to support the engine and reinforce the frame, and with the addition of other frame mounts to the truck may not need it at all, but I would feel better to have something there . In fact, I left mine in but modified it for more clearance. As to where you mounted your engine in your truck , I think you will find the original was mounted 1 inch towards the passenger side, not much off center but may have been done to clear steering gear box.

Rich
wwhite

Post by wwhite »

I now have a plan, I am going to do the following:
- grind rivets off, remove cross member
- relocate current engine/tranny mounts into better/more correct position in frame
- modify original bell housing cross member, to fit
- reinstall bell housing cross member with grade 8 bolts

I think by reinstalling, I won't have to relocate front brake line, and will still have some added strength.

Thanks for the suggestions.
1964 Mercury short box 460 innies