1965 F100 I've been working on.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64 f100

1965 F100 I've been working on.

Post by 64 f100 »

Recently, I've had a little experience that I decided to share with all of you. I don't often run into differences between the 65 and 66 trucks of any note. Working on the accelerator cable and pedal on this 65 made me take notice of some major differences in the two. The accelerator pedal was mounted to the floor of the 65 as the earlier trucks were. I had a later setup and installed it on the 65 and installed a couple of bolts in the holes in the floor. In addtition, the throttle cable was sticking on the truck and had been replaced by something that was make shift and to long. It appeared that something was missing as all I had previously delt with had the little plate that mounted to the firewall. So I hunted up a plate to install. The plate would not work on this firewall. I had not ran into this before, and found it interesting. Slowly getting this truck up to speed and it is on the road now, having replaced the windshield with a good used one and the new gasket out of my wrecked 66. Still have not addressed a couple issues that I have found. Starter spins sometimes and does not catch, Found the starter hanging loose with only one bolt holding it as the top ear had been broken off and installed another bolt for the missing one and tightened the bottom one. Still have the issue. Having to work outside is a pain, but I believe the flywheel ring gear has been worn down and needs to be flipped. Been freezing cold out the last couple of days and I'm not quite ready to jerk the transmission and bell housing off. Nasty job and the transmission is covered in dirt and oil. Years of accumulation from Kansas and Oklahoma dirt roads. Need to find out why the overdrive doesn't work also, most likely electrical problem, solenoid or governor is my guess. Another round to-it will get done as soon as I have a few warm days. Need to drill the right door for Cab moldings and find a cowl molding for the right side. I have both somewhere, not always easy to find my stuff though. Got a speedometer problem getting a wrwrwring from the speedo, especially when cold and I'm sometime running 90 just after taking off. Fast truck. :lol: Don't know if it's the speedo or the cable. Plenty to do and getting to it as fast as I can under the circumstances. Supposed to be 17 degrees in Cape Girardeau, Missouri tomorrow for the swap meet, and warm up to low 30's. Not sure it will be worth the trip. Cold weather means smaller turnout on parts vendors. Anyone going to be there? I will not be taking anything to the swap meet if I go, unless someone calls and asks for something.

Rich
William-in-St George

Re: 1965 F100 I've been working on.

Post by William-in-St George »

On the gas pedal, I use a cable setup from LoKar and the hanging 66 style pedal. The top of the pedal arm has a ball setup that needs to be removed. Drill a small hole in the firewall and connect up the cable. Duct tape will seal the original hole till you get to it. I have used these setups for years without any issues whatsoever. There is a cheap knockoff cable setup on ebay. I have used these as well. LoKar is just better. IMHO!
William-in-St. George
64 f100

Re: 1965 F100 I've been working on.

Post by 64 f100 »

I just used the original style cable for the 66 and it worked fine without the plate. I bought something from Lokar that I did not like, so I seldom try to use their products.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus