Jaguar xj research questions

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

randyr

Re: Jaguar xj research questions

Post by randyr »

Regarding the Dakota kits, IC recently designed one for the 65/66 chassis. Looks really nice and is supposed to be pretty simple to install. Just add the A-arms, spindles, etc from a Dakota and you're good to go. If I was going to ditch my twinibeam, my choice would be between Dakota & Jag. One advantage for Dakota is the bolt pattern can be Ford 5x4.5 or use rotors from an 80's Dodge full size and get 5x5.5.
ohmthis
United States of America

Post by ohmthis »

Randy, yes I am keeping the fuel injection. Thanks for the info on the headers. I will be doing the 5.0 and T5 in my truck.

SPark, thanks for posting up those pictures. The kit does look nice and you did a great job on the install, nice welds BTW.
randyr

Post by randyr »

ohmthis wrote:Randy, yes I am keeping the fuel injection. Thanks for the info on the headers. I will be doing the 5.0 and T5 in my truck.

Excellent!! Mine's from a '92 GT with AOD. I swapped in the Explorer intake, JBA headers.
ohmthis
United States of America

Post by ohmthis »

I looked into the Dakota kit, ouch!!! $750 for the crossmember and then get my own control arms, spindles, springs, rack and pinion, rotors, calipers, and then I might have to rebuild any or all of these parts. It does look very nice and straight forward. I did find front end parts to rebuild the jag minus (I didn't look for it) the rack and pinion for around $250 (bushings, new tie rods, end links, shocks and ball joints).

Randy, I too plan to use the explorer intake. I raced in factory stock (NMRA) and ran that intake and some other goodies on a 5.0. I'll definately keep you in mind when I go to do the engine install. Did you use factory mounts? What about wiring harness, did you go after market or use the factory and slice and dice it? Thanks for all the insight!!!
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

The price of the IC kit is kind of misleading. It includes everything you will need except the Dakota parts. No boxing plates to make/buy, no making stuff fit. It's tab A into slot B easy. Mine was spot on for caster/camber when I put it in. Almost have to work at it extra hard to mess that deal up.

Dakota stuff is cheap. Go on NAPA, Rock Auto or a similar site and price racks, rotors, etc.

You also have the option of keeping the 5 on 5.5 to match the stock rear or going to a 5 on 4.5 to match an 8.8 or car rear.

On any of your choices you will be dealing with steering connections and column choices so don't include those with your decision. You're spending about the same to make any of them work once installed.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
ohmthis
United States of America

Post by ohmthis »

SPark, if I were starting from a complete worn out jag front end I might agree, although I haven't priced dakota parts yet. The front I'm looking to buy has new rotors, rebuilt calipers, new shocks, and end links. That in itself will save me a ton. There is no "cheap" ifs conversion in any vehicle. The part I'm least worried about is the fab part. I do have some questions that I will research and address before the build though. And yes I had already thought of the connection to the rack, and I didn't "not count that part", because there are many different columns, racks, engines, headers, transmissions, frame mods to count for that input.
I think you did an exceptional job, I will study it and, im sure find an idea or several hundred. Thanks again for letting us all into your buildings!
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

If you have access to good Jag stuff, that's probably a great way for you to go. Check with Kevin, he has jag stuff under his son's truck and I think he really likes the way it went together. It's a leaf chassis so there would be differences but at least it's something to look at.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29805

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
randyr

Post by randyr »

[quote="ohmthis"

Randy, I too plan to use the explorer intake. I raced in factory stock (NMRA) and ran that intake and some other goodies on a 5.0. I'll definately keep you in mind when I go to do the engine install. Did you use factory mounts? What about wiring harness, did you go after market or use the factory and slice and dice it? Thanks for all the insight!!![/quote]

My truck still has twin-i-beam with drop beams so yes, I got the engine stands from a '69 or later F100 that came with 302. I used the Ford Racing harness, which is pretty much plugnplay into your existing wiring. I thought it was worth the extra money and the Ford Racing harness keeps the EGR in tact. It's around $500 at Summit Racing. Got the '68 & up EFI Mustang gas tank from Tanks inc and installed under the bed. You could also go with the external fuel pump setup instead like found on the late 80's F150's if you want.
Anyway, give a shout when you're planning that part and I'll be happy to share what I learned along the way.
ohmthis
United States of America

Post by ohmthis »

Well crap!!! We've been having some bad weather the last couple weeks. The person I was in contact with has let his ad on CL expire and I can't get in touch with him. I'm going to try and put up an ad myself seeing if he see it. If not, looks like I will be back to the drawing board. Thanks to everyone who added to this post. Hopefully it will help someone who might be looking into this swap.
randyr

Post by randyr »

ohmthis wrote:Well crap!!! We've been having some bad weather the last couple weeks. The person I was in contact with has let his ad on CL expire and I can't get in touch with him. I'm going to try and put up an ad myself seeing if he see it. If not, looks like I will be back to the drawing board. Thanks to everyone who added to this post. Hopefully it will help someone who might be looking into this swap.

Is there no email or text trail you can follow up on?
ohmthis
United States of America

Post by ohmthis »

Randy, I still have our emails. They are through CL though and I'm not sure if it stills works if the ad attached to it is not active.
randyr

Post by randyr »

ohmthis wrote:Randy, I still have our emails. They are through CL though and I'm not sure if it stills works if the ad attached to it is not active.

Maybe give it a try. Sometimes people let the ad expire and forget to repost in a timely manner. Good luck with that!
luckystiff
United States of America

Post by luckystiff »

if you can't find donor up there i have a pretty regular source for xj donors down here in nc. guy only parts xjs so you get the bigger sway bar and heavier springs(you probably want the xj6 springs though). same price or maybe cheaper than the one you mentioned. charlotte autofair is coming up soon so make it a worthy road trip.

i've done several jag swaps. the one in my 62 is notched 3" into the rails. it's my prefered swap on the cheap.

theres a guy in sc that does rebuilt racks for $270 or so.
ohmthis
United States of America

Post by ohmthis »

Luckystiff, thanks for the info!

I lucked out and the person with the donor saw my ad and called me today. Since I have a full week scheduled I'm going to try and get there next week. Weather has been bad the last few weeks and my trailer is by the barn with no good way to get to it. I'll update when I get the pieces.
ohmthis
United States of America

Post by ohmthis »

It's been awhile since I last posted. The owner with the xj front end told a little (a big) fib about the suspension. It was mangled in a front end collision. So now I'm back to the drawing board. Before I was stone solid on doing the xj swap. But I am having a huge problem finding one. So I am going to search some more, but may take a more serious look at other options. So here goes with more questions.
1. To get the right look, do you need to use spacers on the rear end to put the wheels and tires the same?
2. I'm almost 100% sure I cannot use the motor mounts on the CV without tons of work for my 5.0?
3. The truck will be just a cruiser, am I going to run into drivability (keeping tires aligned, stability issues, etc) with any of the swaps?
I can get the whole CV police version, for $350. I figure to budget $750 to make it work (am I off on my budget? I am hoping to find an xj for the same price (I know supply and demand!) and figure a budget of $900 to complete it. The Dakota is the most money by far. I figured a budget of $1200 for it. Let me know if I'm even close on my estimates. Thanks everyone!
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

I did some digging last night, and from what I'm seeing in parts pics, the Series III XJ's use a "HAT" style rotor that sits on the hub, with the wheel studs protruding from the hub. That means it should be feasible to have the hub BC re-drilled for 5-1/2" BC like the truck came with. Drilling the rotors should be easy enough......
ohmthis
United States of America

Post by ohmthis »

Thanks James for the info. I am referring to spacers for the rear end to match the CV front end width.
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

The info was not posted in response to your post above mine, I was just throwing my discovery out there! :)

And I just got a call from a friend of mine up north, I already knew he had a Jag XJ sitting there in the back 40, and he called in regards to the text I left him the other day about the Chev/GMC "Truck Arm" style rear suspensions (he is a roundy pounder from way back), and it turns out he has the back half of a truck arm style chassis that was turned into a utility trailer there as well:):)
Now I just need to do some homework & decide if it is viable to use the one ton chassis I have, or start looking for a straight axle half ton chassis to drop all my tin on.....

ohmthis wrote:Thanks James for the info. I am referring to spacers for the rear end to match the CV front end width.