300 won't run-part 4/maybe 5

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Mr. Jones

300 won't run-part 4/maybe 5

Post by Mr. Jones »

A mechanic suggested I should switch to a set of standard ignition blue streak points,So I did,installed them and the engine fired up.Let it warm up put a timing light on it,set it to 6degres,set the idle.Drove it,carb responded excellent,plenty of power.Ran perfect.Great!!Next morning ,attempted to start it,and once again it just ran like crap or almost ran.How the f.... can something sit overnight and turn into a giant turd,,,10 hours earlier it was perfection??
It seems to me it's something simple and obvious,I'm just not seeing it.Any ideas on this one......
Dan
Toyz
United States of America

Re: 300 won't run-part 4/maybe 5

Post by Toyz »

Just an off the wall thought, but are you certain your ignition circuit is not somehow energized when off and burning the points. This would seen unlikely if the engine died when key was switched off, but there could be a backfeed from alternator circuit, starter relay, etc.
Other than that, it is just a matter of diagnosis again. Does carburetor spray fuel when accelerator pump is activated? Got spark at points? At secondary wires and plugs? Condenser well grounded?
Good luck!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Have you switched the cap on the distributor. Had a car do this once and it was drawing moisture into the cap at night as temps changed. Swapped caps and it ran fine. Ours was worse if the car sat out at night. If it sat in a garage at night it was fine.

Also try spraying some CRC556 inside the cap to drive out moisture and see if that helps any.

Good luck, these things can make you crazy!
SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

both above make sense and should be checked

btw the trucking motto is outstanding humor :lol:
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson