turn signal lever problem

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

mrgoob

turn signal lever problem

Post by mrgoob »

When my truck hits a bump in the road the turn signal lever falls down to the left turn position. What is wrong, what parts do I need, where to buy them and any tips on the repair? Thanks again.
64 f100

Re: turn signal lever problem

Post by 64 f100 »

Sounds like your turn signal switch has gotten sloppy loose. You may be able to tighten it up , but it will be tricky. Remove the steering wheel where you can see the switch and you should be able to tell if the switch has become loose from usage. You may be able to ping the loose part tighter, with a small hammer and punch. Just remember the part that little shaft goes into in the collar isn't very stout and you could bust it off, which would then mean finding another and replacing it. Otherwise, regardless of what you do, replacement of the switch is most likely the best option. these are available from Carpenter, or others for 35$. To tighten the existing part up, I really suggest you remove the switch and place it in a vice or something where you can do a proper job of pinging the metal. If, your switch is not canceling properly, then this would be the time to replace or repair that part also. There are two arms that are what cancels the turn signal when the steering wheel is turned and the canceling cam hit on of these arms. Made of plastic these often break as the plastic gets older and brittle. Depend on which switch you have I have some of the canceler arms should you need one. I really suggest just going ahead and buying a new reproduction switch at 35$ . The canceler arm is 10$ and I only have the one style , some are no long available. As to ordering the new switch , I also suggest you make a list of things you intend to order and order several things along with it. Mostly because it won't cost any more to order 4 or 5 things than it would cost to order the one.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
William-in-St George

Post by William-in-St George »

All true. Pulling the steering is the challenge. You will need a steering wheel puller. Buy a new switch and have it ready in case you cannot fix the old one. Honestly I'd simply plan on replacing the old switch with new. Also buy a new horn brush and replace it also. Dielectric grease on all moving parts just for good measure.
William-in-St. George
randyr

Post by randyr »

I've found the challenge with these re-pop turn signal switches is who really sells a good one? Sure they are all foreign made but do they come from different sources with different degrees of quality reflected in the prices or do they all come from the same source and some vendors just jack up the price? Who knows, but I installed the $35 unit from Carpenter in my truck 2 yrs ago. It always felt "soft" and cheap when switching thru the positions. I could tell there was no way it was going to compete with the original that lasted 40-some years. Sure enough, it wore out quickly, wouldn't hold it's position and ultimate shorted out a month ago.

Still dealing with the suspicions that these all come from the same cheap Chinese source, I bought one for twice the price from Green Sales. Yes, it's still foreign made but it does seems to have a sturdier "click" when switching the lever. It cancels well when completing a turn and so far works just fine. Ask me in 40yrs if it's as good as the original..... :lol: :lol:

There are definite tips & tricks to making the replacement easier. Perhaps there's a thread or tutorial already posted on here somewhere. If not, I'll be happy to share a few things I learned with the help of others. :)
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

First question is the year and series of the truck. The early switch is the same as Falcon/Comet, making it a little easier to source a quality replacement, as well as to repair if you choose.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Not only year but sometimes production number may be needed, as things changed mid year. best to source a steering wheel puller and see what you have, then search for parts.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
mrgoob

Post by mrgoob »

Toyz wrote:First question is the year and series of the truck. The early switch is the same as Falcon/Comet, making it a little easier to source a quality replacement, as well as to repair if you choose.
Paul

Thanks for all the replies.

I should have said truck is 62 F250 4x4. See carpenters sells this, they're close by http://dennis-carpenter.com/turn-signal ... Z-13341-A/.

Let you know what I find and how it works out.
F7BIGJOB
Location: West Greenwich, Rhode Island & Providence Plantations
United States of America

Post by F7BIGJOB »

pm sent
F7BIGJOB
-Steve

1965 F-250 4x4 Flareside

ImageImage
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

I replaced the plastic switch in mine a while back, and I believe the one I used was out of a 64 rambler. It was close enough to work and I couldn't tell the difference. It was NOS and only cost me $10.

*edit. I should've checked your link first. I thought you were talking about the plastic cam.
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Four wheel drive is a different critter on the switch from the others . These turn up quite often on Evilbay, and I'm not certain there is an aftermarket one available. The Carpenter switch I recently bought is almost to tight. I did not use dielectric grease on it, and should have.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

ThinLizzy13 wrote: I believe the one I used was out of a 64 rambler

hmm

i have a 64 rambler, the plastic piece on the back of the horn ring broke so i used one from a slick. close enough the hole in the center needed enlarging a bit but you cant tell and it works.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

There is a listing on St. Louis Craigslist for a "NOS" switch; he is asking $75.00. It is the early application which fits a multitude of vehicles; same one you listed from Carpenter. He also has the mounting plate, which is usually harder to find than the switch itself. The 4x4 uses the same switch for your application. As you probably are aware , it is a different switch entirely from the later 2wd's. There are also mid-fifties car and truck applications I have found to be usable, same wiring and colors, just somewhat longer harness.

Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
mrgoob

Post by mrgoob »

64 f100 wrote:Four wheel drive is a different critter on the switch from the others .
Rich

The part from Carpenters will not work for the four wheel drives. I bought one and will just drop it off next time I go past there.

One that came out on left. Pieces of the cam had broken off letting it slip down to left turn most of the time.

I found two like the one on the right and put one in. Slightly different than the one that came out.
The one I put in had no cracks and works great.

The one that I pulled out..

Could not find a new switch anywhere. I did find this and hope it will fit together with the old switches above:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-1966-Ford- ... 06&vxp=mtr.

Once again, thanks for the help. I will let you know of the outcome trying to piece together another.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I can tell you that I tried replacing that plastic piece on a two wheel drive turn signal and it did not work well.
on another note I bought a nos 4 wheel drive signal switch some years ago by mistake. If you need it, let me know its yours at my cost (I have to look it up) plus the ride.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!