hood hinges

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

FreeBird

hood hinges

Post by FreeBird »

seems to be a common problem on our trucks. Tired of jacking around with used hinges, swapping springs etc. hoping it will get better but its driving my nuts... and I have it on good authority that I don't have far to go anyway. Did a search and from what I read the aftermarket hinges are junk. Would like to do it once and do it right even if it costs a bit more. Any recent experiences or info I may not have come across would be appreciated, thanks y'all...
jamesdfo
Canada

Re: hood hinges

Post by jamesdfo »

This co rebuilds hinges, but IIRC, they are pricey

http://www.sms-auto.com/Trucks-1961-to-1970.html
skidoorulz
United States of America

Post by skidoorulz »

There are a couple of places that can rebuild your original hinges. I bought a set of aftermarket hinges and they are JUNK! I finally got original part numbers from a Guru on another site and came up with a set of NOS hinges for 10 bucks a piece more than I paid for the aftermarket hinges. I have not put them on yet cause I have not had time but I am sure they will be much better. Also I am sure someone here or on the other site can tell you who the rebuilders are. I spoke to one of them before finding the NOS hinges and he seemed very knowledgeable about the rectangle rivots used in these hinges and how to replace them.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

The quote I got for rebuilding a set was $400. I bought a second set of worn out stockers and will try rebuilding myself.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

I've fallen victim to the aftermarket ones (says made in Argentina or something?) what's so wrong with them? I'm yet to fit them.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I have had no problem with replacements from LMC; the springs appeared and felt to be of less capacity, so I used the original springs. There is always the option of buying Kevin's well -engineered kit; it seems to eliminate the potential problems with hood mis-alignment.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

It also eliminates the sudden problem of the hood flying up . This has happened om these trucks all to often. Not a pleasant surprise, and it's not just the hood that is damaged.

Rich
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Not sure Kevin's kit would eliminate that potential problem. Hopefully, he will correct me if I am mistaken. There are easy low budget solutions to that problem, however. Correct adjustment on the factory latches and safety goes far to negate that possibility, IMO.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
skidoorulz
United States of America

Post by skidoorulz »

What is this well engineered solution that is spoke of?
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Here's Kevin's truck, scroll down and you will see his hood tilt kit installed.

If I remember correctly, you still have to have that front latch of some kind. It also tilts back as well as forward.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10877&start=140

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Toyz wrote:Not sure Kevin's kit would eliminate that potential problem. Hopefully, he will correct me if I am mistaken. There are easy low budget solutions to that problem, however. Correct adjustment on the factory latches and safety goes far to negate that possibility, IMO.
Paul

I know that my hood kit will stop the hood from coming up and slapping the windshield in the event of the hood latch releasing at speed. The only that I am not sure of is if it would just stand up parallel with the fenders or if it could come back and hit the cowl.
I definitely don't want to try this on my truck just to see what it would do. I don't think that it could get back far enough to hit the windshield or the cowl.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel