A little Ranger help?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

UNIFAN

A little Ranger help?

Post by UNIFAN »

I'm hoping some of you that know could help identify a truck. It looks the part of a 65 Ranger, but I honestly have not been able to find enough information out there to feel comfortable with my conclusions. Can anyone share with me how to identify the Ranger identification only? Not so much looking for the visual signs (buckets, console, tank cover, etc) as much as decoding. Thanks for any assistance you guys can offer.
bruceandersson

Re: A little Ranger help?

Post by bruceandersson »

Search on here or google. Michelle's put a couple of articles up on this.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Trim code will be T81, U81, or V81. Key clue is the presence of reinforcing washers under the cab at the inner seat mounting holes. Replacement warranty plates can be ordered to buyer's specification, so I would not put 100% faith in the trim codes.
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
UNIFAN

Post by UNIFAN »

Trim code is G81. I've seen online where that could be a Ranger identification though. All very confusing on these trucks for me.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

G81 is in fact a '65 code designating black crinkle vinyl. It may well be a Ranger; again the obvious key, IMO, is the seat reinforcement. Hopefully, Michelle and/or Graybeard will add some more information.
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
ridealong34

Post by ridealong34 »

I believe the bucket seat (Ranger) codes changed between 65 and 66. My 65 is code F81. It has red bucket seats and console.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I have seen references to that, but have never had the opportunity to verify it. Did your '65 come with the early Falcon style console?
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
ridealong34

Post by ridealong34 »

Toyz,

It came with the second type (64-65) Falcon Sprint style console. Most of the Sprint console parts were reproduced at one time. Mine is missing the top trim piece so I go to find one when I redo my interior.
UNIFAN

Post by UNIFAN »

Is there a pic anywhere of what the seat reinforcement looks like? So G81 is still a sign that it could have had a Ranger package? Any other identifiers?
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I need to find a console cover, too. I have a spare Cyclone cover, may just dye it and use it. Since the stainless inserts are available, I have been hinting to Graybeard that these would be a good item to reproduce.. I will try to get a pic this weekend if it dries up enough to get a Rhino back there! While it is nice to find an original, I suspect there are now more clones than there ever was original production. If the truck is in fact a Custom Cab, and has the tank cover, full carpet, and the Mustang style seats all in black crinkle vinyl, and all those items look to be appropriately aged; I would just check for the reinforcement washers and feel comfortable it is a Ranger. I am still hoping the two experts will weigh in. I will message Irl and several of our excommunicated members with knowledge of these things and ask them to voice their thoughts.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
SRSControls
United States of America

Post by SRSControls »

:shock: excommunicated members?? :shock:

"If you didn't pay to buy the parts, sweat and shed your own blood to build it, pay to register it, and pay to insure it, your opinion of it is of no matter to me."

"This is the Hotrod section....we drive our trucks. The trailer queens are over there!"

64 F-100 Short Bed (Under Construction)
Industrial Chassis Dakota crossmember kit #16
Industrial Chassis Brake Pedal Kit
"Top Secret" drive train
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

No big mystery SRS! For various reasons, some very knowledgeable members became persona non gratis here; others became frustrated and left on their own. No big deal to those of us who still communicate with them, but potentially a loss to newer members who might be served by their expertise. Others became somewhat derogatory and belligerent; although they too sometimes had good information to offer, they seemed unable to accept that their info may not have been totally accurate as posted; those I don't miss! I'm not one to judge the why-for or what-about: I enjoy my friendships with parties on each side of the equation; and fully understand that reasons for an action may not be able to be fully explained. The "ex-communicated" was my choice of wording, and not meant as a statement of position, nor protest.
I did get in touch with Irl, and with his years of experience and interest in these trucks; he offered up the following codes, which I also believe to be accurate. For the '65s F81-red, G81-black, H81-parchment. '66s: T81, U81, V81. Irl's cheatsheet had the codes for parchment reversed year for year; I took the liberty of correcting it to match the limited info found in Ford publications. I believe, and hope this info is accurate.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
UNIFAN

Post by UNIFAN »

Thanks Paul. I hate to say that the important items are not with the truck. It is a G81 code with a black padded dash. It has holes across the back pinch weld where a gas tank cover could have been. It has very age appropriate Ranger badges. It has holes on original painted floor pans that could have held the brackets for buckets and console. Unfortunately when I got the truck all of the interior was missing other than the dash assembly. The truck was a fair price for me regardless and will live to have another life. The main reason I'm trying to figure out if it is or isn't only stems from the fact that I cut these trucks up and street rod them. If this is a Ranger I'd rather let someone else have it for restoration and use another core for what I do. If I know it isn't it would be a great candidate for a build. Brian
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Brian, I agree 100%! i would expect that it is a Ranger, but, as noted, it is easy to "clone" one down to the last detail, including appropiate repop warranty plate. Most do not bother with the correct inner bracket reinforcements,so that often remains as the only tell-tale. While there is certainly intrinsic as well as implied value, it is simply an easily duplicated trim option. Over nearly 50 years, i have seen many converted to straight seats, as well as vice versa. Realistically, most will not know the details; those who do may have varying opinions. Bottom line is the mantra, your truck, your way!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
graybeard
United States of America

Post by graybeard »

ridealong34 wrote:I believe the bucket seat (Ranger) codes changed between 65 and 66. My 65 is code F81. It has red bucket seats and console.

The '65 we bought in Jan has F81 Body code on the Vin Plate. It still has the buckets, the ( red ) console, the, 3 spd. The 240 six has been replaced by a 289. I'm not sure who to thank for that! But I like it.
It hasn't had a easy life! We'll probably keep it!

Based on what we've read a bucket seat '64 wouldn't be a Ranger, Ford lauched the "XL CAB Package" in '64. The two we've seen didn't have Falcon seats they both had Red Bostrom Econoline passenger seats. No code identifier beyond a long special order number.

Graybeard
If you can't run with the big dogs "STAY UNDER THE PORCH" !!!!!