Loud noises from steering column.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

bossford65
United States of America

Loud noises from steering column.

Post by bossford65 »

Can anyone tell me the tale tale signs that will let you know your cab mount pads need to be changed. The cab mounts themselves have no rust issues, the body gaps havent changed but the steering column will sometimes make a loud popping noise which can be felt thru the steering wheel. The ragjoint is fairly new but the two safety pins show signs of ware on the side of them. Its a 65 with power steering conversion. Any ideas as to whats going on here. Thanks James
bruceandersson

Re: Loud noises from steering column.

Post by bruceandersson »

Noises are hard to diagnose without hearing them. Do you feel anything through the column? First have someone turn the column back and forth with the truck on the ground and watch the rag joint - if you see wear on the pins that is not good. It may be loose or broken. If its not the rag joint, I'd get it up on jack stands and work with someone to turn it back and forth while you try and figure where the issue is coming from. You might be able to trace it by feeling the components as it is being turned or you may have to listen through a steel bar. Place one end of a solid steel bar on what you want to hear and place the other end against your ear.
William-in-St George

Post by William-in-St George »

Safety pins should have 0 wear. Replace the ragjoint. Check steering box bolts. IMHO!
William-in-St. George
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

I think I know the noise you mean, a thud/clunk that comes through the Column. I could describe it similar to a coil spring seating or unseating (in a car that had them!) but you can feel it in the column. Both mine did it particularly after maneuvering to park, and occasionally pulling away from a start. My 62with p/s (control valve and ram)was more frequent and I thought the it had problems with the steering box, but the 66does exactly the same and its a different box obviously with no p/s and new kingpins. If u find it let me know, drives me nuts!!