Steering wheel alternatives for Slicks

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

brute66
United States of America

Steering wheel alternatives for Slicks

Post by brute66 »

Was wondering what 60's era factory Ford/Mercury steering wheels can be used on our trucks. I really don't want an aftermarket wheel but am looking for a flatter wheel than my stock one. It measures about 6" deep and I'd like something around 4" or less. I'm real tall at 6'6" and favor a wheel that's closer to the dash. My truck has no PS, so it's gotta be at least 15" in diameter. Some of the early 60's car wheels are really appealing to me, I'm just not sure they'll interchange. I'm willing to spend around $300 on a nice alternative if anybody can help. thanks
bruceandersson

Re: Steering wheel alternatives for Slicks

Post by bruceandersson »

One thing you could do is substitute a later model (73-79) power steering column to gain a couple of inches of access. I have a great welder and am confident in my ability so I've shortened the column on a couple of trucks. A lot of people are very wary of this, but after it is cut and re-welded, I've tried to break the weld with a lot of leverage and have no issues. That has been the only way I've found to get the wheel into a comfortable position for me. If you keep the same diameter wheel, as you move it towards the dash, you start to lose leg room. I am planning on checking out how a mustang steering wheel works on my shortened column to try and solve both problems.
brute66
United States of America

Post by brute66 »

Thanks for the advice Bruce, but I want to retain the factory Cruise o Matic column as I prefer the shifter and turn signal stalk to the newer columns.
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

http://www.con2r.com/

these guys make some nice stuff, owner has a custom slick called "PH100" He also makes a nice gauge set that fits stock round bezzel dash im sure he can help. :2cents:

Danny
69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

I've got a '66 Mustang Deluxe Woodgrain wheel on my '66F100. I like the look and it works well.
brute66
United States of America

Post by brute66 »

Danny,
Thanks for the con2r tip, I was seriously considering buying one of there wheels because they have the finger bumps on the back side of the wheel and they look vintage.

supercj,
I just sold a mustang pony wheel for $200 on ebay, was thinking of using it if I couldn't sell it for what I wanted for it. but wasn't sure it would fit. Now I know.
BigBadDad

Post by BigBadDad »

69supercj wrote:I've got a '66 Mustang Deluxe Woodgrain wheel on my '66F100. I like the look and it works well.

Picture please !
Big Bad Dad
If it needs sayin', Say it!
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I have a Series I Con2r wheel on my unibody. It takes a standard 3 bolt adaptor kit like any aftermarket wheel would. You could put one on your truck with that method, just remember that Con2r stuff isn't cheap. The quality is top notch.

It also comes with a draw string soft cover for storage. I've used it all the way thru my build so it doesn't get dirty as I work on stuff.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
brute66
United States of America

Post by brute66 »

glad to hear quality is top notch as these Slick steering wheels can get a real workout without power steering