what is this thing on my steering column?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

brute66
United States of America

what is this thing on my steering column?

Post by brute66 »

Sorry guys, don't have a pic but I'm sure a few of you will know what I'm identifying. It's a black plastic thing with a spring loaded lever located on top of my COM column under the dash. It's mounted with two small screws and has a electrical connector coming off of it (disconnected). Do I need this thing because it's in the way of the brake light switch I'm installing for my front disc brake conversion. Thanks!
Toyz
United States of America

Re: what is this thing on my steering column?

Post by Toyz »

Sounds like your neutral start switch. If so, it is either by-passed thus allowing it to start in any position; or has been re-located elsewhere. If you still are running the COM, it is probably by-passed; later transmissions utilized a trans mounted switch.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
brute66
United States of America

Re: what is this thing on my steering column?

Post by brute66 »

Paul,
My truck was originally a three on the tree and now has a COM column with a 1969 C6. That explains it, I will just remove this neutral safety device and store it away.