73' I-Beam Question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

f100matt

73' I-Beam Question

Post by f100matt »

I am finally getting around to doing a disk brake swap in my '66 f100 using 73' suspension and brake parts. So far everything has gone pretty smoothly. I got all the suspension parts sandblasted and painted, got new king pin bushings installed and reamed, ordered all the new bushings, and I am ready to start putting it all together. Only, one problem... I can't remember which I-Beam is passenger side and which is drivers side! Looking at the old gear, I thought I had it figured out, but when I went to install the axle pivot bushings they were absolutely refusing to press in from the side I thought they needed to. So for the sake of argument, I tried to press them into the opposite side of the axle, and they are beginning to press in just fine... Before I press them in for good, I want to make absolutely sure that I am not setting myself up.

I was hoping that one of you might be able to tell me which beam is RH/LH by the part numbers
30A D2TA-9-DA
35A D2TA-8-DA

Much appreciated
-1966 Ford F100, 352, 4 speed, smoke grey, mustang buckets
-2003 Ford Ranger XL, 3.0, 5 speed
-1989 Ford F250, 460, highboy, 4x4
Toyz
United States of America

Re: 73' I-Beam Question

Post by Toyz »

Look at the steering stop bosses. This is the quickest clue.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
lineman1984
United States of America

Post by lineman1984 »

Right, Paul! That's what I was gonna say. My 66 I-beams have two bolts with jam-nuts threaded into the rear of each arm. These are the steering stops. Did you leave them in or remove them for sand blasting?
Justin
f100matt

Post by f100matt »

The steering bump stops must have been removed when I got the beams because they are not there now. Another interesting thing is that the holes where the bump stops should mount on the 73' beams are not tapped, but just through holes instead...
-1966 Ford F100, 352, 4 speed, smoke grey, mustang buckets
-2003 Ford Ranger XL, 3.0, 5 speed
-1989 Ford F250, 460, highboy, 4x4
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I will try to check the numbers when I get home. Seems as if Ford convention is for the odd number (9)'to refer to driver's side, so the 9 part would be left (driver) side.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
osiyo59

Post by osiyo59 »

If you look at the end that the king pin goes into, the end is angled, not straight up and down. The top angles back towards the cab. This is the caster angle of the beams. Hope this helps.
deadheadno1

Post by deadheadno1 »

The bump stop holes are not supposed to be tapped. That is the hole for the wedge bolts that lock the king pin in the axle and the bump stop nuts screw on to them to hold them in place. If those wedge bolts are missing you best find some before you drive the truck anywhere.
Tom :mrgreen:
"Make him a "deal" deal, maybe the guy's a republican!"