Oil idiot light wiring question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

rderr

Re: Oil idiot light wiring question

Post by rderr »

Banjo Picker thank you, that does make sense. I was under the impression that the I terminal, since the wire being connected to it is labeled "Alt Excite" was receiving that signal from some other source via the fuse box. It sounds as though that post is actually an output and hot when the Alt is doing it's job. So, if the Alt stops doing it's job that puts a difference of potential across the bulb and viola the idiot knows his Alt has stopped working.

I will give a full report after the weekend.
Thanks,
Rick
rderr

Post by rderr »

weekend report. Did not get to try to start the truck so alternator charging is still a question mark. Although I did put the battery in and after chasing a few gremlins have all lights and turn signals working. Bumped the starter once just to see if it has juice and it did. I learned what I already knew "grounds are important!". Somewhere on here I read that it is a good idea to ground the cab to the frame, bed to the frame, engine block to the cab, and the one I forgot was the radiator support to the frame.

New wiring question:
Does anyone have a diagram or advice for how to wire the emergency flasher into the EZ wiring harness? I have a 12V hot to feed the emergency flasher switch coming from the new fuse box and believe I found the correct wire on the old switch to hook it to. Where I am confused is the wires coming out of the switch going to the four corners of the truck. Can I just hook them to the turn signal wires?

Thanks,
Rick
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

You need the 4 way flasher harness in order for them to work in conjunction with turn signal and brake circuits. Then you hook that power to the 4 way flasher
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
rderr

Post by rderr »

unibody,
can you expound? you lost me when you said then hook that power to the 4 way flasher. i am installing an ez kit but have to keep my original 4 way switch with a flasher already on the switch. Im confused about how to get the signals to the bulbs.
thanks
rderr

Post by rderr »

I'm still a little confused about my ALT idiot light wiring. The EZ wiring kit has a white wire coming out of the fuse block that is labeled "Alt Excite". I assume that this wire provides a 12V signal to the voltage regulator I terminal to excite the Alt to start charging. Based on what the EZ tech told me and what I thought I understood from this thread, I cut that wire coming out of the fuse box and just ran a wire from the I terminal on the voltage regulator to one side of the ALT idiot light. This doesn't seem to be working because my ALT light is still on. The white wire coming out of the fuse box is just hanging there for now until I get this figured out. I haven't actually put my multimeter on the I terminal but I am suspicious that that terminal is looking for a 12V signal from the fuse box. Did I misunderstand? Is the idiot light and the alt excite both supposed to be connected to the I terminal possibly? This idiot light is making me feel like and idiot.

Thanks,
Rick
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Refer to my earlier post as to "shunted resistor". You should also be able to find online info as to how the light works. I know of no other manner of keeping the light and providing signal to the system.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

This is the basic setup. The "I" terminal is excited from ignition switch, or in your case, fuse block. The parallel resistor circuit has less resistance than the bulb circuit when charging, thus allowing current flow and turning the lamp off. Without an energized source to the "I" terminal, the system will not energize the field. Without a good bulb in the circuit, the system also will not charge. Disclaimer: Solid state regulators may function without the parallel resistor. The resistor was in your original harness circuit if equipped with a light; it needs to remain in the new circuit.
http://mdhmotors.com/wp-content/uploads ... iagram.jpg
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
rderr

Post by rderr »

Thanks Paul. Do you happen to have a picture of what I would be looking for (shunt resistor) from my old harness?

Thanks,
Rick
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I'll have to get a pic tonight.it normally is attached to the gauge terminals.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Rick sorry for the delay, without the notifications working I often miiss a response. I was trying to say a add on 4 way harness, wired to your turn signals is needed. That harnessi has need of a power source independent of the turn signals. It needs to come from a non switched source.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
rderr

Post by rderr »

Unibody,
no problem. Thanks for the reply. I actually figured out that my problem was that the EZ wire kit comes with an integral flasher in the fuse box and I was trying to feed the original flasher in my old switch and harness from the new flasher and that just plain doesn't work. My only issue with flashers now is that the way I have it hooked up the indicator on the dash doesn't flash when they are on. But since all 4 corners flash I am ok with it for now.
rderr

Post by rderr »

Update on the ALT idiot light saga.
Here is what I have found out this weekend. Before I start, I'd like to say how much help everyone on here has been. I appreciate it a lot!
I have the alt wired correctly as well as the voltage regulator connectors to the respective alternator posts. I ran the "ALT EXCITE" wire to the idiot light and then from the other side of the alt light to the "I" terminal on the voltage regulator. No Joy! The alt light is still lit and no charge going to the battery. So I bypassed the idiot light and ran "ALT EXCITE" straight to the "I" term on the VR and viola the alt is out putting to the battery. Only draw back is obviously no ALT Idiot light functionality. I do believe that Mr. Toyz is correct that the answer will be the shunted resistor wire in parallel with the idiot bulb. However, I do not know where I would get such an animal.

Thanks again,
Rick
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I'll try to look up the resistor value tonight; Radio Shack should be able to provide one. Edit, a 15 ohm resistor across the lamp terminals should do the trick.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
sofla1966

Post by sofla1966 »

Rick,

Its been over a year and now I have decided to go back to my flasher issue. I have the EZ 21 circuit kit. For the most part had no issues with it 90% hooked up and worked first time. Then I got to the flasher switch with 4 wires and the flasher light with 2 wires and the EZ kit with one brown wire. Can you give me a bit more detail on what your solution was.

Thanks
CK