1964 Steering options

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Holly100
United States of America

1964 Steering options

Post by Holly100 »

I've searched and read a lot here and also on FTE. I know this is a common issue but the threads get so long and hard to pull the info I want. I just picked up a 64 shorty custom cab with a 4speed granny. It's a real solid truck and has a good honest look to it so I'm keeping it that way for now except that I'd like to lower it some. I've rebuilt most of the front end with new tie rod ends, king pins (still to do), and drag link but the steering is still sloppy. Can I rebuild the steering box and get good results or are other options like the Toyota box more affordable? I'm really resisting buying a rebuilt replacement if doing it myself is a cheaper viable option.
fastfrankie73

Re: 1964 Steering options

Post by fastfrankie73 »

I just put a rebuilt redhead steering box in mine and couldn't be happier...not the cheapest but I think it's a better part.
spstack

Post by spstack »

For power steering go with a ccp box it BOLTS IN to standard location and put a Saginaw power steering box with a fluid reducer on it that's what I have on my 63 and it works great
Used a universal joint to hook the steering shat to box and be done !!
1234 sps
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

spstack wrote:For power steering go with a ccp box it BOLTS IN to standard location and put a Saginaw power steering box

got a link or part #'s . or pictures ?

Thanks

Danny
spstack

Post by spstack »

just buy the whole kit from classic performance it says till 60 but works in our trucks too .
1234 sps
fastfrankie73

Post by fastfrankie73 »

Btw, I can reach in the window and turn the wheel lock to lock with one hand sitting still in the garage with the new box....with a 302 and 215/70/15's
Holly100
United States of America

Post by Holly100 »

is this kit number CPP5760PSK-OC? Will this work with lowered front ends? Does it work with the stock drag link?
spstack

Post by spstack »

yes correct but forget the rag joint and just get a dd universal to fit the box and mill /grind your oem steering shat to fit the universal and also go to a bearing shop and get a bearing to fit your shift tube with a id that fits your steering shaft . I had someone turn down to universal joint so it fit into to bearing .this will lower your steering column down .it WILL fit a stock drag link .ONE importaint note USE a Saginaw pump not! a stock ford pump there is not enough pressure with the stock pump to drive it also a fluid reducer so the steering is not twitchy at high speed it reduces the pressure and gives you some road feel ok .
1234 sps
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Try Packing Your Steering Box With Grease And Adjusting It. It's Amazing How Much Of A Difference It Will Make.:D .....
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

Shadow wrote:Try Packing Your Steering Box With Grease And Adjusting It. It's Amazing How Much Of A Difference It Will Make.:D .....

simple and true. And much cheaper.
Holly100
United States of America

Post by Holly100 »

spstack wrote:yes correct but forget the rag joint and just get a dd universal to fit the box and mill /grind your oem steering shat to fit the universal and also go to a bearing shop and get a bearing to fit your shift tube with a id that fits your steering shaft . I had someone turn down to universal joint so it fit into to bearing .this will lower your steering column down .it WILL fit a stock drag link .ONE importaint note USE a Saginaw pump not! a stock ford pump there is not enough pressure with the stock pump to drive it also a fluid reducer so the steering is not twitchy at high speed it reduces the pressure and gives you some road feel ok .
the pump in the kit is a Saginaw right?
Holly100
United States of America

Post by Holly100 »

spstack wrote:yes correct but forget the rag joint and just get a dd universal to fit the box and mill /grind your oem steering shat to fit the universal and also go to a bearing shop and get a bearing to fit your shift tube with a id that fits your steering shaft . I had someone turn down to universal joint so it fit into to bearing .this will lower your steering column down .it WILL fit a stock drag link .ONE importaint note USE a Saginaw pump not! a stock ford pump there is not enough pressure with the stock pump to drive it also a fluid reducer so the steering is not twitchy at high speed it reduces the pressure and gives you some road feel ok .
got a pic of you column end? Part number for the bearing?
spstack

Post by spstack »

the pump is NOT in the kit I have a 289 in my truck with sanderson block hugger headers and got the pump and bracket from toms bronco parts 800 749 5028 for 200.00 I don't know what motor you have in your truck .it did not include the hoses .I got the hoses from CPP .but they come in the kit .My truck had a Toyota box in it and I went to this after some research and I am very happy with the outcome .As for the bearing 2 and 1/8 od and 1 and 1/8 id .and should tape into the bottom of your shift tube add Loctite and it wont move .Also one note I kept my 3 speed on the column .any more questions pm me I will be happy to help .
1234 sps
Holly100
United States of America

Post by Holly100 »

I have the original 292 Yblock.
brute66
United States of America

Post by brute66 »

Shadow wrote:Try Packing Your Steering Box With Grease And Adjusting It. It's Amazing How Much Of A Difference It Will Make. .....

what weight of grease do these boxes require? i see an adjustment nut on the top of the box, do i fill it thru this opening?
Holly100
United States of America

Post by Holly100 »

brute66 wrote:
Shadow wrote:Try Packing Your Steering Box With Grease And Adjusting It. It's Amazing How Much Of A Difference It Will Make. .....

what weight of grease do these boxes require? i see an adjustment nut on the top of the box, do i fill it thru this opening?

good question