Stock steel truck wheels

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

bobenhotep
United States of America

Stock steel truck wheels

Post by bobenhotep »

Is there a difference between the different years of "outie" wheels. I have heard that there are "disc brake" wheels and drum wheels. Can anyone throw some guidance out there as to what is what?
Thanks in advance.

Dan
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

F164

Re: Stock steel truck wheels

Post by F164 »

I think any outie wheels that have welded centers are ok.

There were Ford wheels that had riveted centers. I think the rivets stick out far enough to rub on some calipers.

Dodge D100/Prospector/Van wheels came in a 15x6, 15x6.5, and 15x7 size as well.

I have used the Dodge wheels and cant tell the difference with the hubcap on.

If you go with the 15x5.5 Ford front wheels and 15x7 Dodge wheels on the rear, it helps even out the track.
f25065
United States of America

Post by f25065 »

This is good to know... going to be starting a front disc conversion on my '66 F-100 4x4 and want to use stock rims for correct hubcaps (actually '65 hubcaps; "innie" rims). Anyone have any further info?
62bigwindow
United States of America

Post by 62bigwindow »

I may be remembering this wrong but, I have a disc brake conversion on my truck and I dont think the stock wheels will clear. The caliper hits the outer rim if my memories serves me, its been a while since I have had time to work on it. I have discs front and rear and I didnt think either would work with the stock rims.i am sure someone that knows for sure will let you know.
Every day above ground is a good one
didgeytrucker

Post by didgeytrucker »

Look at the backside of the rim. If the diameter has an angled taper from the small diameter to the larger diameter you will probably have disc brake caliper clearance problems. If the backside has a stepped change from the small diameter to the large diameter this wheel will fit disc brakes. All wheels with the "innie" centers have the tapered backside. A good wheel shop could swap centers for you.

Tracy
1956 F-100 Panel w/429 (3.50 9")
1966 F-100 SWB w/351C (3.25 9" - 3.70 posi for Saturday nights)
Music City F-100's,
1965 GT-350 S/C (2.78 1st & 3.70 TracLok 9")
Music City Mustang Club
1969 Schwinn StingRay
Don't focus on the destination....make the JOURNEY the adventure