Axle pivot bushings

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64 f100

Axle pivot bushings

Post by 64 f100 »

Thought I had this covered as I had bought some off evilbay some time in the past. Uncertain what year these were actually for but thought mostly these were fit all. When I removed the metal part from my 65's I beam on the passenger side , it looked smaller than the new ones I have. Also , measured the hole in the I beam . It was smaller than the bushings I have. I realize these are supposed to be press fit, but it will take a lot of pressure to make these fit in these holes. What I'm getting at is that I need confirmation that these are the correct ones for my 65. I'm reading adds that say these are the same from 65 to 72, and am wondering if what I have are for 73 and up? Also, the beam hole has a peak running down one side and a groove running down the other or opposite side. These would be midway on the long sides. I don't remember this being that way on the last set I did. I do know I had one hell of a time getting these to go in the last time. As to being able to hammer these in , not a chance. The long side of the hole measure less than 2 inches and the bushing measures 2 and 3/16ths. Anyway, I stopped on the project until I can get some feedback. I don't mind buying more bushings, but these are Moog and I do have a number on the box. Guess I should go and get the number off the box and do an internet search.

Rich
Toyz
United States of America

Re: Axle pivot bushings

Post by Toyz »

I believe you will find the '65's are unto themselves. There should be some fairly recent postings on that topic. The retainer pin hole is also slightly different from other years.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Thank you Paul for the reference page. I am actually looking for information on the pivot bushing on the opposite end of the I beam from the spindle . If, the bushings had not been totally gone and the metal bushing inside the rubber not riding on the metal casing, I would have used the neoprene bushings . But since I knocked the bushing out and it was damaged anyway, and I thought I had new stock style bushings. It's to late to use the neoprene style as you have to leave the metal in to use these. As to differences in these early I-beams, I know of one other difference . Ford used a catch bolted to the I-beam to prevent the beam from dropping down to far on the early models. What I'm looking for now is info on whether there was a design change where that pivot bushing size was changed in 66 also. It's possible that Ford modified this when they went to the later king pin style. I had hoped to be able to do a fairly quick bushing change without pulling the I-beams. I have parts trucks I can pull these from if needed, but a few hours job may have turned into a few days job and the extra cost of replacing good king pins with a new set. I had several sets of I-beams off trucks I had junked out, but got tired of having to trip over the things and hauled it all to the scrap yard last year. Now I will have to pull some if I want to compare a set. Wanted to get this done so the truck would handle better on the road, before I started putting on the hood and fender I have painted for the truck. I will take another look at the beam this morning and see what can be done. One thing is for certain, the bushings were totally gone, and this had to happen. If, anyone has pertinent information on my problem please let me know.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Rich, the rough dimensions you have given match what I would expect. Not sure exactly when the changes were made, and whether they were across the board, but the '65 F100s I have encountered all used the 1.875" o.d. Bushing. I haven't found the small diameter bushings on the heavier trucks or later models. That naturally doesn't mean they weren't used later, but, like yours, I have ordered the bushings which seem to be "universal"' with no problems for any after '65. I'll try to further research this at first opportunity, but I Think you will be safe ordering the 1.875".
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Paul, the 1.875 sounds right . The ones I have are 2.25 and is listed in Carpenters catalog as the ones for 65 on up to 72. Since it would take awhile for me to find the right replacements , I started modifying one of the ones I have. I cut about 5/8 inch out of the side and pried out the rubber and metal bushing. Took the outer part and started by squishing it back together with a vice. Did a lot of squishing to get it in the right shape so it would start into the hole. Once I had that part pressed in, I cut about 1/4 inch out of each side of the rubber put some brake fluid on it and got the two pieces started in the hole. The steel bushing from the inside was going to be to large a diameter to work. the bushing was made of 3 separate bushings one inside the other. I had planned on using the two center ones, but that didn't work out well for me, so I just used the center one. Took that bushing and started it into the two pieces of rubber I hard already started into the outer metal casing. Took a long bolt with large washers and my 1/2 inch impact and pulled it in. Not a very sanitary job but best I could do on short notice. This is my DD and I feel lost without it. Other side I installed a neoprene bushing in, as I did not remove the outer casing. The neoprene bushing went in fairly well. The one I cut up to fit most likely won't last all that long but it sure tightened up the front end of the truck. As I was trying to get this done, I felt drop of something wet falling on me. Thought it was going to rain and wasn't to much concerned until I noticed the wet was green. I now have a water pump to replace. Never a lack of projects around me. As to ordering the 1.875 bushings, where do you get yours from?

Thanks,
Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Bear with me, Rich! I have no idea where I obtained those bushings. When I was doing this work, I purchased as a wholesale distributor, usually getting MOOG parts. I no longer am aware of even the part number; and as you found, most listings are for the K8095, which are the larger bushings. What remains of my MOOG cross-over reference doesn't list any thing which sounds correct. When I finally get time to go to the shop, I will see if I might have an old box with a readable part number. I suspect the ones you modified are the K8095s.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Thank you Paul for responding on this. Finding the right size bushings sounds like mission impossible. To many of the older companies are out of business and others are dropping anything that doesn't move. Most likely scenario involves using the metal piece I modified with a neoprene insert. The quick fix I did won't hold up in the long run. Truck drives much better with what I've done. Still not quite where I want it to be in regards to steering. I've adjusted the box to get most of the slop out of that. Someone in the past had backed the adjustment screw almost all the way out on steering box. Had a quarter turn of play, very strange. I adjusted all the play out then had to back it off as it was binding slightly on center. I now have about two inches or less of play at the wheel At one point a P/O had replaced the strut rod bushings as these looked almost new. Front shocks were shot, so I installed some decent ones off another truck. Main drag link has a very small amount of play in the ball joint on the pitman arm. Not enough to replace it as it is very slight. I have plenty of used and new that I have picked up when the price was right. Took the drivers side fender off yesterday and as usual noticed something else to fix. Had intended to replace the cab mount and repair the floor while I have it off. Now I need to go out to my storage shed and retrieve a good inner fender for that side and paint it. so it will be ready to install while I have the fender off. As usual the radiator support needs repair also, as it was damaged by both rust and being in the accident that damaged the fender. I should go ahead and replace the support but just have to much to do otherwise. May try and pick up one of the repo's at Pate. I intend to be there on Wednesday afternoon. I assume the guys from Oklahoma city will be there?

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Yeah, hopefully, there won't be a repeat of Skip's mis-adventure with them regarding pricing! Carpenter will also be there, and usually has some good bargains for early attendees!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Well, for those that want to know how this turned out, here is the rest of the story. As I mentioned previously, I had bought some bushing off Evilbay which measured 2.25 inches on the long side of the bushing that pressed into the I beam hole and as stated in every book a listing I could find the originals were listed as being 5/8ths ID and 2.25 OD . So a couple days ago I went to my local parts house looking to order a rebuilt water pump. He did not have rebuilds and offered me a new one at 45$. I then went to Autozone and they had a rebuilt with lifetime warrantee for 40$. I then went to O'Rielly's and they had a one year warrantee rebuild for 17$, which I ordered. While in there, I asked about their listings for the I beam bushings, and of course they had moog and their own brand listed in the previously mentioned size . I was going to pass on these, but he said he could get the parts overnight and it was no problem to return . He ordered both kinds in pairs. The Moog being three times the price of the generic. When I went and picked up the water pump yesterday, he had the bushings in stock, and we compared those against each other and measured the bushings. Turns out that these were correct after all despite being described by everyone as being 2.25 inches outside diameter, which in no way has any bearing on the size of hole in which the parts will fit. Although I did not measure the outside of the flange to see if this is the measurement they describe, I can only assume this is what they did. Not certain why Ford described this this way, but only a jackass would give you a figure that has no direct relationship to the measurement that means anything in the way of fitment. I apologize to all for my mistake and hope those that read my post are now rereading it and getting less confusing information. Sorry if I caused anyone else confusion.

Have a great day, and hope to see you at Pate.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus