Need help with some parts

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Need help with some parts

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

I went to pick up an oil bath filter from a guy yesterday. He had a garage full of truck parts for 73-79 trucks, so I of course grabbed more stuff then I intended to get. He threw in a power steering pump and a couple of steering gear boxes for practically nothing. I was wondering if anyone knows if this stuff can be used on our trucks? I'm pretty sure the pump can but I'm not so sure on the gear boxes. They both have the holes for power steering and he told me they came off 4x4 trucks.

Power Steering Pump - D8AC-3A516-AC

Steering Gear Box - C6AR - 3580 - A2

2nd Steering Gear Box - D9AC-3580 - A2

He also offered me a 460 short block for $50. It's a smogger and I don't really have a use for it now nor do I know if that's a deal or not? There was another complete v8 (he said 351c) andI think I saw some dana axle pairs (one had discs). I'll probably be going back sometime soon to have a better look around if anyone wants me to keep an eye for anything from that era truck that could work on ours.

Thanks in advance for any help :cheers:
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
64 f100

Re: Need help with some parts

Post by 64 f100 »

I will say you need more parts if those are for 4x4. Pulleys , pitman arms , linkage for the steering shaft etc. etc. . I might possibly be interested in a complete setup for power steering on my 66 4x4 but I would need it all.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

ThinLizzy13 wrote:Power Steering Pump - D8AC-3A516-AC

This pump came out in '78, so that will tell you something about which engine it came off of. '77 and earlier use a tin-can pump and different brackets.
Notice that the bracket piece that mounts to the block will determine which engine it fits - not the one actually supporting the pump. I do not know which engines this will fit, so you will need to get the casting number off of the block bracket. You might asking the guy if he remembers? Probably not an FE which was discontinued in '76 (although I think this type of bracketry was used before the FE was put to bed). Probably not a 300-6, possibly a 351W ('80s), 351M, 400, 429, 460? Even an '80s engine?

ThinLizzy13 wrote:Steering Gear Box - C6AR - 3580 - A2

This is not the Bendix gear for our trucks. It is too short, and has only 3 - not 4 mounting holes to the frame. Bronco maybe if 4x4?

ThinLizzy13 wrote:2nd Steering Gear Box - D9AC-3580 - A2

This looks at first blush as tough it is the power steering gearbox for our 4x2 Slicks, but it looks waaaay too short. I have no idea what it it is unless Bronco, again?

ThinLizzy13 wrote:He also offered me a 460 short block for $50. It's a smogger and I don't really have a use for it now nor do I know if that's a deal or not?

Smogger doesn't matter for the 385 series engines. All it takes to make it a non-smogger muscle engine of the '60s is to change the camshaft gear and timing set out to pre-1972.

Thanks in advance for any help :cheers:[/quote]
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Get date numbers off the 351, a lot of people think they have a "C" when they really have an "M". The M would be more likely in a smogger truck. The "C" was a performance engine. 351C was 70-74, any other dates it is probably a M. Also look at the front and back upper corners of the heads right by the valve cover surface. If there is a "4" cast there it is a 4bbl head, if a "2" is cast there, it's a 2bbl head. If nothing is cast there, it's a smogger 2bbl head. A 351M has no value to most people.

The 460 is a decent buy if you A, have a place to keep it and B, think you will ever use on in a project.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Well I don't know why I didn't do this sooner because my 300 is out of an 86, but the pump brackets line up perfectly with the holes on the driver side of my engine for the power steering pump.
banjopicker66 wrote:
This looks at first blush as tough it is the power steering gearbox for our 4x2 Slicks, but it looks waaaay too short. I have no idea what it it is unless Bronco, again?

I was thinking the same thing. I wasn't sure if maybe they were shortened up for the dentside era trucks? Or maybe just the 78-79 ones (what the guy said it was off of). Its just odd that the '79 cast one looks more similar than the 66 one.

banjopicker66 wrote:
Smogger doesn't matter for the 385 series engines. All it takes to make it a non-smogger muscle engine of the '60s is to change the camshaft gear and timing set out to pre-1972.

Well thats good to know, doesn't sound too complicated.

LM14 - I'm thinking the 351 is most likely a smogger then. He was talking about a 77 and a 78/79 truck. I'm gunna check it out when I go back. As for the 460, I do have a place to keep it, but no need for one at the moment. If I remember correctly it was only missing the valve covers and the intake I think. So more of a...not quite a full block? lol
Most 460 short blocks around here seem to go for 250-300 from what I've seen. I might just grab and save it for later on down the line. $50 doesn't seem like a bad deal for it, but getting it out of the garage does :roll:

64 f100 wrote:I will say you need more parts if those are for 4x4. Pulleys , pitman arms , linkage for the steering shaft etc. etc. . I might possibly be interested in a complete setup for power steering on my 66 4x4 but I would need it all.

Rich

I'll dig around some more next time I'm there and let ya know if there whole set up is there.
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL